Should I buy a Penn Senator 10/0

Started by Surf Slayer, June 26, 2019, 10:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Slayer

Good to know. I am getting too excited about this reel. I am going to be bummed if he sells it before saturday or it is in bad condition internally. How will i be able to tell if the spool is warped/compressed with all of that line on it? i doubt he will let me remove it as it is one of his "selling points". I am definitely going to get fresh line if I buy it.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 27, 2019, 01:43:09 AM
Quote from: Surf Slayer on June 27, 2019, 12:18:27 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on June 26, 2019, 11:42:07 PM
You will get a variety of thoughts here most applauding the purchase & use of most any Senator reel.

But honestly for $500 you can get a very nice used 50 size reel. $570 or close gets you a brand new Avet 50.

Unless fishing these older style reels is just your thing there is absolutely no way I would spend that kind of money for a Senator I wanted to fish. A big 2 speed is so much more efficient & enjoyable for me to fish... Jeff

you absolutely right, but I found a guy selling this senator  10/0 with a rod for $250. I feel more comfortable with that price for my first real shark reel. If i stick with shark fishing (which I fully intend to) I will make a larger investment into a more modern reel

Oh ! I misread your opening post I wouldnt hesitate to buy this reel at that price. I cant afford a newer  big 2 speed myself right now so I completely understand... Jeff

No worries! I probably did not word it very clearly. writing has never been one of my strengths. I will definitely buy it now if it checks out. I appreciate your help.

RowdyW

Crank the reel and see if the spool rubs anywhere.

Alto Mare

Grab it before it's gone, you won't find a better reel for sharks.
The 10/0 is fourth in line from the larges Senator, but it's only second when it comes to its guts.
It is in great condition and very much worth it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Frankly, I am surprised you haven't tied it up or bought it yet.

If it is a Craigslist or something like that — I would doubt it waits for you until Saturday.

If you don't like it for any reason — mechanical or personal — I will buy it from you and make you whole on it.

It is a very good value...

Can't be any more blunt than that.

Let us know what you end up doing — and welcome once again!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

I agree with uncle sal,,,, ;) grab it,,,and if the rod has aftco rod butt or rollers it's even a better deal and welcome from Salem va,,,,,,  ;D

oc1

I used to be in your shoes way back when, but got the 12/0.  With that said, I think everything larger than a 9/0 (or maybe even 6/0) is now a dinosaur made obsolete by spectra line.  If you were going to fish straight mono or, heaven forbid, braided nylon or Dacron you would need that much spool capacity.  With a backing of modern line the reel can be much smaller and still get the job done.  Big reels are fun to look at but not-so-fun to lug up and down the beach.
-steve

1badf350

Welcome!
I wouldn't worry about it being a three piece spool with those ball bearings. It is a one piece and very strong.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Surf Slayer

Quote from: foakes on June 27, 2019, 03:35:27 AM

If it is a Craigslist or something like that — I would doubt it waits for you until Saturday.

If you don't like it for any reason — mechanical or personal — I will buy it from you and make you whole on it.

Best,

Fred

I haven't grabbed it yet because it's 2 hours away from me in Tampa. I am going to be in Tampa on Saturday so that is why I am waiting. It's been on craigslist for 2 weeks now so I hope it holds out another 2 days. I meeting the guy at 9am Saturday morning

Surf Slayer

Quote from: foakes on June 27, 2019, 03:35:27 AM

Best,

Fred

I just messaged they guy and told him to let me know if anyone else asks him to see it before Saturday. Id drive over there before then because I really want that reel now.

Surf Slayer

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 27, 2019, 02:26:55 AM
Grab it before it's gone, you won't find a better reel for sharks.
The 10/0 is fourth in line from the larges Senator, but it's only second when it comes to its guts.
It is in great condition and very much worth it.

Sal

Very good point. I appreciate the comment. I working my hardest to get it. I told him I'd drive over to get it before Saturday if someone else shows interest. I'd just prefer not to wasted 4 hours and a half tank of gas if i don't have to.

thorhammer

Can't lose situation- Fred is backing you, and I'm sure the same crossed other member's mind for the same, because it did mine.

steelfish

Quote from: Surf Slayer on June 27, 2019, 12:13:50 PM
............ because I really want that reel now.

LOL

everytime I see this kinds of threads like :
Do I need this reel?
Shoudl I buy this reel?
etc

is only looking for that extra push to go for it, Im sure of that cuz I made a similar thread few years back asking "do I need I Baja Special reel?", now I have three of them LOL, but its not my fault, I blame of the ohana guys that convinced me how good the reel was under the hood and of course I also blame Tom from Cortez Convertions (who's Bday is today btw) that came up with a great fix and upgrade for the aquiles heel for the Baja Special, anyway, good luck with the reel that thing its a tank and could be a super tank with many of the current upgrades offered by the ohana family and the many experts on those big penn senator boys.
btw, I have a 12/0 which is the same reel than the 10/0 but more wide

The Baja Guy

Surf Slayer

Quote from: steelfish on June 27, 2019, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: Surf Slayer on June 27, 2019, 12:13:50 PM
............ because I really want that reel now.

LOL

everytime I see this kinds of threads like :
Do I need this reel?
Shoudl I buy this reel?
etc

is only looking for that extra push to go for it, Im sure of that cuz I made a similar thread few years back asking "do I need I Baja Special reel?", now I have three of them LOL, but its not my fault, I blame of the ohana guys that convinced me how good the reel was under the hood and of course I also blame Tom from Cortez Convertions (who's Bday is today btw) that came up with a great fix and upgrade for the aquiles heel for the Baja Special, anyway, good luck with the reel that thing its a tank and could be a super tank with many of the current upgrades offered by the ohana family and the many experts on those big penn senator boys.
btw, I have a 12/0 which is the same reel than the 10/0 but more wide

haha yeah i'm sure posted like this get posted all the time. The only reason I posted it is because I couldnt find much information on the 10/0. Ive heard that their spools can fail and I was worried about that and not being able to find a replacement. If i am able to get this reel, I am looking forward to scouring though this site for ways to upgrade and improve it. This site if full of knowledgeable and helpful people, and I appreciate everyone not scoffing at my newbie questions.

steelfish

Quote from: Surf Slayer on June 27, 2019, 06:32:54 PM
The only reason I posted it is because I couldnt find much information on the 10/0.

serve yourself, just type  116a, 116 and 116L on the space and grab a coffee

https://alantani.com/index.php?action=search2

The Baja Guy