Lake Erie Catfishing

Started by mo65, June 28, 2019, 02:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Our local rivers have been blown out all summer...the rains just won't stop. All of our spots are just not fishable, so we decided to take a little road trip north. Aside from a few locals, most folks have no clue how hot the Channel Cat fishing is in Sandusky Bay on Lake Erie. They are regularly getting 20 pounders, and crazy numbers of 5-15 pound fish. I haven't had a chance to wet some of my favorite combos lately, so I took the River King and the Flathead Special. Although a 20 pound Channel cat is trophy class material, those reels were probably overkill. I really enjoy chasing huge Flatheads and Blues...but catching large Channels on every cast is hard to top! Especially from a place known for it's walleye/perch fishing! We caught over 250 lbs. of fish in 6 hours, released all the ones over 10 lbs., and ended up with 40 lbs. of packaged fillets. I'll post a video later. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Nice report, Mike!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Lots of good eatin', there !! Thanks for taking us along !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

akfish

Thanks for releasing all the big ones!!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

RowdyW

Hey Mo, does this come under the heading "shooting fish in a barrel".  ;D  Looks like you had a "reel" fun day & worth the trip.      Rudy

Rivverrat

Looking forward to this video. Be nice to see some pics of the gear you used... Jeff

Dominick

Fried catfish yum!  Good work Moe.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 28, 2019, 03:50:44 PM
Looking forward to this video. Be nice to see some pics of the gear you used... Jeff

You'll see the gear in the video Jeff...but until then I pulled out a few snap shots from the film clips. Lou's custom handle knob on the River King looks insane out in the sun. The singing double dogs on the Flathead Special were a hit too. My brother was using his new Kastking Rover 60s as can be seen in the last pic. There's been a lot of controversy as to whether these reels are a good value. I'll say this much...they landed fish all day...never made a squeak of trouble...and they cost $40. Kinda hard not to call that a good value.
   Thanks everyone for the compliments! 8)

steelfish

great report and good action pics Mo.

looking forward to check the video.

The Baja Guy

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on June 28, 2019, 02:17:21 PMWe caught over 250 lbs. of fish in 6 hours

Holy moly, that's amazin'! Looking forward to the vid.

oc1

You guys are slaying them.  My brother-in-law bought a Kastking too.  Out of the package it looks and feels like an ABU.  What's the world coming to.
-steve

RowdyW

I just bought a Kastking Bait Caster, Royal Legend. I'm going to try it out as soon as Bass Pro Shops sends me a rod that isn't broken. I ordered a 7' rod & they shipped it in a 10 ft tube & 4" of the tip is broken off. Ordered a 6 footer & they sent it in a 7ft tube & 4" of the tip is broken off.  No packing in the shipping tubes, the rods are free to float around. They are not going to make any profit that way.  >:(

mo65

Quote from: Dominick on June 28, 2019, 05:57:22 PM
Fried catfish yum!  Good work Moe.  Dominick

This giant cooler is like four feet long. It had 162 lbs. of catfish and 60 lbs. of ice in it...it was like dragging a body off the boat! :D When my brother and I stepped onto the floating dock with that cooler it dropped a foot...I thought we were going under! ;D

George6308

That fishing trip was "the cats meow". Way to go Moe. It seems a good trip was had by all.

Caranx

Nice catches!
I miss channel catfishing. Fun times.
The one's we caught weren't that big though. 👍🏼👍🏼