2.5 Day Out Of San Diego

Started by Crab Pot, June 30, 2019, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Got back Friday from my 2.5 day trip on the Pacific Voyager where we chased Blue Fin Tuna in Mexican waters.

Sorry to say I got skunked along with half of the other anglers.

Fish were there, they just didn't want what I was offering. I'd fly line a nice sardine like the guy to my left and right and they'd hook up while my bait swam on acting like Superman.

Had the same results with iron, flat falls, jigs, and even threw a popper into the middle of a huge boil and nothing... I was feeling pretty snake bit the whole trip.

Out of the 20 guys on board half went home empty handed while others had multiple fish. Just wasn't my turn I guess.

We fished mainly 30-40-50 pound kits, the fish size was in the 80 pound class with one that went over a 100.

Weather was great, crew was awesome, Jeff the Chef was turing out dishes that would make restaurants jealous, and the bait was pre-mo.   

I'll be looking for redemption when I return in August.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

MarkT

I got mine on Thursday...

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hamachi

Sorry you got skunked, crab pot. Been there too many times! You had a chance, though, that's all you can ask for. Mark, why are you posting up your fish on crab pots post? Nice one anyway.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

All you can do is keep a hook in the water and hope the right fish sees it. I remember a day two years ago when I caught 15 mangos up in the water. Capt Al was fishing next to me and could not buy a bite with the same rig and bait. Fish are weird and fishing can be weird at times.

Dwight

Jim Fujitani

Sometimes all you can do is pick a good bait (or jig), make a good cast, and pay attention (to your line and how the successful anglers are fishing).  Its true, the best fishermen boat most of the fish, but there is a little luck involved.

I've had trips when I've gone all day without a bite, then the next day I can't keep 'em off my hook.  Especially if the fish are the  picky BFT.  And sometimes, a true beginner has the most luck (at getting bit), but typically less luck than average.

It's FISHING!  ARGHHHHHHH.........  You have to spend time at the rail to improve your skill and take advantage of your opportunities.... and get lucky! 

Crab Pot

Hey Mark, I remember your fish!

Good work and great picture.

Is it August yet...  ;D
Buy it nice or buy it twice.