113H under gear washer

Started by Crow, July 01, 2019, 10:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I've a question on the "under gear" set up.....I ordered the "4-113HSPBY" kit...a thin carbontex, and a thin stainless. Problem comes in when I tighten the bridge screws....there isn't enough clearance for both washers, and it pushes the main gear into the bottom of the gear case, jamming things up. So, has anyone run into this, and "ground" the gearcase deeper.....is there even enough "meat" there, to grind it enough to clear? Or is it better to find a thinner carbontex washer , or just drop back to the 4-349 fiber washer ? I see some just install the carbontex washer, without the metal washer, but it seems to me that the "teeth" on the gear sleeve would chew up the carbontex, and possibly cause some jamming issues. I'm using the "AT" stainless gearsleeve, and the 6-113HSP drag kit. I measure the "undergear" carbon washer as .66 mm (.027"), and I think I've seen carbon fiber "sheets" on ebay that are .5 mm, and that "might" be enough to allow clearance.      Thanks
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

if the main gear is rubbing against the red plastic side plate, there actually is enough meat in the side plate to dremel away enough plastic to allow for clearance.  alternatively, i have a carbontex drag washer that i think will work.  send me a pm with your address and i can drop one into the mail to you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Is there supposed to be an under gear metal washer? I've just been using 1 carbontex or derlin.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

i had a "gen II" gear sleeve that would accommodate a metal washer first, then a carbon fiber washer, and finally the gear.  newell did something like that a while back.  i thought it would work out, but just never seemed to make that much difference or even be worth the hassle.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

I think it's bound to add a "tiny bit" more #'s of drag, but what looks "good" to me is having the dog (s) "captive", between the washer and the bridge....looks to me like it would help keep "crap" out of the teeth on the sleeve.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bryan Young

If you have a Gen2 gear sleeve, the metal washer should be 0.5 mm thick and the underwear carbonfiber washer should be 0.76 mm thick. If not, you will have a hear height issue, including not mating enough surface area with the teeth of the pinion gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

I use these under gear washer sets a lot, and if you use the .76mm carbontex, you will have the gear scraping the inside of the side plate. The stock Penn under gear washer is 32 thousandths. The .5mm metal washer plus the .76mm carbontex is near 50 thousandths! I sub a .5mm carbontex for the .76mm and this drops the under gear set's thickness to 40 thousandths. Most times it will then fit without dremeling the side plate. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~