Quick Trip — High Sierra Trout — Balancing Life

Started by foakes, July 02, 2019, 06:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Monday morning, July 1st, up at 04:00, made lunch and a thermos of coffee, left home at 05:00 —

Launched boat at Courtright Lake, 06:40, fishing at 06:55.

Penn 9's, Okuma 7' SST Rods, lead core fished at 4 colors, 10' 8lb mono leader, Speedy Shiners in copper with flourescent orange stripe & silver backsides, also rainbow trout pattern with silver backside.  Trolled at 3.5 mph.

Limited out on Rainbows and Browns — nothing big, largest was a 16" rainbow, rest were all 12" range — give or take an inch.  Strong  fighters.

Courtright is at 8400', Road was closed until last Wednesday, wanted to hit it before the July 4th crowd swarmed in today and tomorrow.  There was only one other empty boat trailer close to the launching ramp.

The (3) creeks feeding the North end of the lake with heavy snow-melt are Nelson, Helms, and Ershim.  The lake is full to the brim.  It is about 4 miles long, and a mile wide.

From our house it is a 90 minute drive entirely in the mountains — and we drive through the McKinley Grove of Giant Redwoods to and from.

Enjoyed a couple of Pastrami Sandwiches, Lime Tostida Chips, Banana, Nectarine, 2 bottles of water, and 2
large cups of Starbucks Coffee.  Boat back on the trailer at 11:00 — all gear secured and tight.

Back home at 12:45 — fish cleaned and packaged 2X2 in the freezer with water. boat cleaned and stored, took a shower — and went upstairs to work on reels at 1:45.

Took the wife down to Velasco's for Mexican food at 5:30 — came back home to watch the PBS newshour and Star Trek,, had a small bowl of Ampersand Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Whipped Cream, 8 hours of good sleep, up at 04:30 today, did a little Bible Study, had breakfast of oatmeal, bran, fruit and coffee.  

Upstairs again to work on reels.

It was a good and balanced 24 hours!

Tonight, I will grill a Rib Eye, Sue will make a Spinich Salad with Garlic 2-Day Sourdough, fresh
peaches and whipped cream for dessert.  Maybe watch a movie on Netflix, Acorn, or APrime.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Now that sounds like a contented soul.  Good for you Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Fantastic Fred...just fantastic! If I lived on that west coast side I'd be knockin' on many of you folks' doors wanting to go fishing! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

I think one of those browns would go great with the rib eye!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Wonderful!!!  If I were to go, even if I didn't catch any fish, I could likely just float around the lake and enjoy the peace and nature.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Hardy Boy

Tasty pan fried trout from a cold lake ............................. nothing better !! Nice work.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Benni3

Very beautiful country,,,,, ;) thanks for taking us along,,,, :D and a great day fishing too,,,, :o you just can't beat that,,,,,, ;D

Alto Mare

beautiful place to spend some quality time Fred, the fish is only an added bonus.
I'm glad you had a great day.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Smols

Awesome looking place, Fred - and a great report. Thanks for sharing, would love to fish the Sierra lakes sometime.

Smols

Caranx

smnaguwa

Amazing! You're a great reel mechanic, fisherman, blogger, husband, cook and likely other skills. And generous to boot!

Donnyboat

Nice clear photos Fred, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat