Pinion Gears

Started by Crow, July 03, 2019, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I just pulled apart a 113H, and noticed the "reinforcement ring" was partially off the pinion gear. It "tapped" back on, and seems fairly tight, and I see no signs of any cracks in it, or the gear.....question is...should I use it? Or, am I asking for trouble, down the road ?   Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Fishy247

I'm pretty sure that they are all just pressed on the pinion. Check that the gear hasn't been damaged and that the teeth are straight and You should be fine. Try reassembling it and see if there's any excessive gear noise or "bumps" in the retrieve. That would be a good indicator of pinion damage.

Mike

Cor

I've seen this happen many a time and push the rings back on and try to keep them them in place where they belong.     I feel sure it strengthens the "slots" in the gear that engages the spool.

Once used epoxy and that kept it in place for a long time.
Cornelis

RowdyW

You just have to tap it back on like you did.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

just once I had a 'loose' fitting ring - I spread the 'lugs' of the pinion gear ever so slightly - then pushed on the ring so that it clicked into place - no reported problems :)

RowdyW

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 04, 2019, 12:21:04 AM
just once I had a 'loose' fitting ring - I spread the 'lugs' of the pinion gear ever so slightly - then pushed on the ring so that it clicked into place - no reported problems :)
Wouldn't it be easier and safer to pinch the ring a little if you think it's neccessary.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: RowdyW on July 04, 2019, 02:06:55 AM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 04, 2019, 12:21:04 AM
Wouldn't it be easier and safer to pinch the ring a little if you think it's neccessary.

We are probably looking at something less than 1/2 thou. Pinching the ring might have pulled the lugs tight on the shaft.

RowdyW

Pinch the ring then put it on the gear. A heat treated gear is libel to break if bent. The lugs are a loose fit on the spool shaft.