polishing reel Plate

Started by Donnyboat, July 05, 2019, 09:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, I did reply to Crow, on has stray puppies post in the for sale section, as that is now close, I thought it may be a good idea to post it here, the block of polishing compound that I said I brought from Bunnings, is called, Bordo, it is a green colour, & it said it is for chrome, SS, & decorative copper & brass, another way of bringing copper & brass, up, is to paint it with tomato sauce, leave it for 24 Hours, then wash it, it comes up like new, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

I use 3m lens polish and protector it's not as good as it used to be,,,, :( but with some elbow grease or a buffing wheel on a drill,,,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Good thanks Chester nice to know, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

Haven't spent a *long* time looking, but, so far, I haven't found a "stateside" supplier. I would imagine that all "polishes" are just small particles of abrasive dust, carried in a "grease" (or wax, or something similar) Differences would be, of course, the size of the particles, how long they stay "abrasive" (sharp), and how much "cleaning ability" the "grease" part of the mix might have...mild acid....soap...whatever. As Benni said, a power "buff" speeds up the process (although it's more prone to causing "swirls" in the finish), and saves some time. I guess we all want something that gives "super" results....immediately !!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

I use Mothers Polishing Compound & a cloth buffing wheel in a battery powered drill. 4-5 minutes & a couple of smears of the compound shines up the dirtiest plates. Then soap & water with a stiff tooth brush gets the reidue out of the lettering.         Rudy

Donnyboat

yes I use bycarb & a little detergent mix, to remove the surplus wax, I have tried Mothers polish, but it turns black very easy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Maybe turtle wax could be okay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Sometimes I have used nu finish scratch doctor first,,,,,, :D then gone back over it with 3m and alot of elbow grease,,,,,,, ;D

RowdyW

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 07, 2019, 02:15:24 AM
yes I use bycarb & a little detergent mix, to remove the surplus wax, I have tried Mothers polish, but it turns black very easy, cheers Don.
That's because it gets the dirt & grime out along with getting rid of the oxidation. Wax is good after it is cleaned up.

Long Enuff

Back in the day standing mid watch on a submarine, we would often polish watch crystals with cigarette ashes, a cloth and dab of spit. Would take some time to do a reel.