Penn Slammer rod recommendation

Started by Saaben, July 09, 2019, 12:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

Been a while since I posted but am always lurking. To be honest I ran into kind of a dry spell fishing for sharks. Last year I was at the beach a number of times and fished very hard with little to no results. I think I caught one little one and must have fished 20+ days and nights. I became very discouraged as i was hauling kayaks, baits, coolers, gear and then all the families stuff back and forth to the beach and simply got worn out. It seems everyone loves to support you fishing for sharks until it is time to grab the other end of the kayak. Too many late nights by myself cleaning everything up simply took some of the joy out of it. I actually spent a week over Spring break and did not run one line out. It was nice to actually relax on the beach and just chill. This past week we were down and I decided to catch some bait fish for fun with the kids. One thing led to another and I put some bait on a hook and flung it into the surf and lo and behold I caught two sharks and the fire is burning again and I love it. I let my son reel in one of them and will not forgot for quite some time. I was using an Okuma Coranado 80a with an Ugly Stik I think maybe 8-9 feet. So my question is. I want some more line capacity and have my eye on a Penn Slammer 9500 or 10500. Curious as to what rod anyone would recommend? Of course I have been researching but with so many options thought I would ask if anyone had real world experience. Also curious about line. I am reluctant to use braid as I have had a couple breakage issues. I fish from shore near Cape San Blas. I now am the proud owner of 3 Penn Senators 9/0, 6/0 & 4/0 that may be sitting for quite some time if anyone is looking to buy some.
I really enjoyed the shark fishing but the joy was slipping away with so much prep. It was simply fantastic to sit on a chair and every once in a while throw another bait fish on the line and sling it out. Any advice suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks

thorhammer

Daron (Sharkhunter) has switched to casting big spinners for much the same reasons, and has some equipment recco's. Certainly the Slammers are beasts, and some of my all time favorites, but an SSV or VI in 9500 or 10500 is a massive, robust reel as well. If Daron doesn't see this, ping him.

John

Saaben

I saw Daron's previous post and was hoping he would respond. He has been extremely helpful to me over the years. Thanks

CapeFish

Daiwa BG, Shimano Saragossa but unfortunately the Quantum PTSE has been discontinued, there are many spinners now to choose from. Sometimes big heavy tackle just does not give any results and you can catch some serious whoppers with a spinning reel loaded with braid

Jeri

Given that you are looking at going the long rod (surf) route, why are you so against braid. Something like a 50lb braid on a decent reel will be more than enough for what you are looking for. I personally fish for smaller sharks (up to 60lb) with a Cabo 60 PTSE loaded with 35lb braid and a 75-100lb braid leader. For heavier sharks (Bronzies up to 110kgs) I routinely use a Cabo 80 PTSE filled with 50lb braid and a 150lb braid leader - and absolutely no issue with capacity on either set up. Higher line strengths are not the big issue when you are using a long surf rod.

Sad that the Cabo 100 & 120 are discontinued, but the 60 & 80 have all the same benefits of the bigger models, but without the excessive weight, and good enough capacity for the braid sizes mentioned.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Saaben

Thanks for the insight Jeri. Not that I am totally against braid but I fish in the Gulf which tends to be shallow. In the past I have had a number of break offs with braid. Not so much it seems with mono. Where I fish is maybe 30 feet deep with a gradual drop off out to 300 - 400 yards. I can see that it would be ideal if I could pack on 300 yards of braid with the rest mono. Thanks

Jeri

During the past 5-6 years we have seen a huge change in our local surf fishing scene, which has always been long casting and bait. Originally everyone was using multipliers and nylon, but the change has been to fixed spools (spinners) and braid, and as a custom rod builder we obviously had to change our product range. In that changeover, we obviously had a lot of customers that were skeptical of the transition, as formerly fixed spool reels were reserved for 'those tourists that couldn't cast proper tackle'.

However, what I tell folks now coming in with the changeover inquiry is, that once you have mastered the change to fixed spool an braid, you are looking at between 20-30 metres extra in casting distance with braid over even the best multiplier and nylon. The fact that the braid is smaller in diameter and lighter means that it causes a lot less drag during the cast and offers extra distance as a result.

In our competitive surf fishing arena, it has transformed what our ladies are achieving now in terms of distance and catches, as the benefits of extra distance have put them into better waters. My own wife gained an extra 20 metres in distance on our practice field, over her previous best.

It is also why Penn have brought out their 'Long Cast' versions of the Spinfisher, it makes such a huge difference in casting performance over the standard 'deep spool' versions.

We fish a variety of different water types and terrains with the braid, and never have any problems, even with weed and associated problems in shallow areas. The only occassional issue is the lack of abrasion resistance when compared to thicker nylons, but then a mussel shell or reef will cut either with remakable ease. It is something worth trying because the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Cheers from sunny Africa

oc1

I'm with Jeri.  If the goal is to lighten up the load then definitely use braid.  The difference is huge.  You need to examine why you are breaking line and fix that.  Braid is more abrasion resistant than mono of the same diameter.  If there is a worn and weak spot in braid you will clearly see and feel it.

Spectra braid is not reserved for spinning reels.  Baitcasting reels are smaller and get more distance when using braid too.
-steve

Saaben

Thanks for everyone's time. I will of course do more research. I plan on going back down in two weeks with just me and my son so we will have 3 days of bay and surf fishing and will be sure to post our results. Although I do not contribute much I do read most post and appreciate this site and the opinions and advice over the years. Thanks

Shark Hunter

The Cabo 100 and 120 have been Discontinued, but they can still be found for a good price. I have several and back up pinions and main gears.
I feel your pain with all the gear and no results. It is so comforting to grab a Chair, cooler, tackle bag and rod and make one trip.
I have caught a few small ones, but confident this setup can handle an 8 footer.
Cabo 120 on an 11' Ocean Master loaded with 100 lb Kast King 8 strand.
I'm running a small #19 wire leader and a smaller hook with to get around the new regulations.
Those new Ocean Master Rods have some serious back bone.
I'm sure your setup will work just fine,
Daron
Life is Good!

Gfish

Mindset. The Zen of preparation. I spend about 1/2 my time fishing, then the other 1/2 getting ready, + the clean-up afterwards. Honestly though, I start to get tired of the not fishing part when I'm rinsing stuff off, and I hate the food/drink preparation part. If I get something home, I treat the processing like like an interesting dissection, but then I dislike the clean-up part from that. Hmmm, that's not alota Zen pleasure... I guess I gotta work on it more.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!