Low Ration Gears for Fathoms and Torques

Started by mrbrklyn, July 13, 2019, 06:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Lately I have ben shopping for a lower gear ration for my inshore Sea Bass fishing.  Most expereinced guys around here have Newells.  And these things are really old reels.  I just don't understand why Penn never made a 3-1 solid lightweight reel.  They would capture the entire east coast market.  And, even more to the point, I am looking at bait casters for my light custom rod and they are also 7-1 rations.  Does anyone make these conversation?

nelz

You could always go old-school, like a Penn 1/0 which has 3:1. I believe the Daiwa Lexa is offered in power ratios , but not at 3:1, more like around 4:1.

MarkT

Worry less about the gear ratio and pay more attention to the inches per crank. A 5:1 gear ratio may be slower than a 3:1 gear ratio if the spool is larger in diameter.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

nelz

One thing about the oldie slower reels though, is that the pinions are huge compared to today's hyper-speed reels. That's gotta be a good thing.

CapeFish

Please educate me, why would a 3:1 ratio be so sought after on a reel the size of a fathom? I can understand that heavy tuna and marlin rigs have low ratios, but not reels fished with 10 or 20kg line? I have reeled in some pretty big fish on 10 or 20kg line reels with 6:1 ratio gears and never felt like the reel needs to be lower geared. Am I missing something?

nelz

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 16, 2019, 04:19:51 AM
Quote from: nelz on July 13, 2019, 10:47:06 PM
One thing about the oldie slower reels though, is that the pinions are huge compared to today's hyper-speed reels. That's gotta be a good thing.

Why?

Bigger = stronger

Ron Jones

For really big fish, the large, stainless pinion is very hard to shred, for the fish you catch I'm not sure it matters. Based on what I know of your fishing, you are happy to buy quality. If you want a slow presentation and power from low gear ratio in a small capacity reel it is really hard to beat a Surfmaster 100. You can find one for almost nothing and then put a Tiburon frame, small thread stainless gear sleeve with oversized star, 5 stack drag and nice power handle on it. 300 yards of 65# braid will fill the spool to the top.

It will be a world class reel for less than a fathom and will be exactly what you need.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Ron Jones

Quote from: CapeFish on July 16, 2019, 07:40:55 AM
Please educate me, why would a 3:1 ratio be so sought after on a reel the size of a fathom? I can understand that heavy tuna and marlin rigs have low ratios, but not reels fished with 10 or 20kg line? I have reeled in some pretty big fish on 10 or 20kg line reels with 6:1 ratio gears and never felt like the reel needs to be lower geared. Am I missing something?

Personally, I really like slow presentations, especially in shallow water. In deeper water it is a pain to bring up a bait with no fish, shallow water that isn't such a big deal. Slow reels make slow presentations easier, at least to me. There is more to reel speed than just torque to fight the fish.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Like I said, all told it would be less than a Fathom. I've been casting these things for a long time, technically the Squidder casts better because of the bearings, but depending on the rod I can get 60-80 yards on a regular basis, you'll be fine.

There is all the help in the world you'd need getting this together on here.

The Man
Ronald Jones
"

sabaman1

Mrbrklyn, your more than capable of doing this right on your dining room table as long as you have a flathead screwdriver, an alantani wrench, some good penn grease or yamaha grease and a very small amount of a good synthetic oil. Go for it and if you need help there is plenty of knowledge right at your fingertips here in this site. Its all about the fun and what were about here!

Best wishes to you in your quest for your reel.

Jim
JIM

Benni3

If I did this, I wouldn't build it myself.  There is no way.  It is not one of my talents nor do I have the room or time to put together a workspace.
[/quote]if you need something people here will help,,,,and that's ok,,,,, ;) I don't know why you want lower gears,,,,, :) sometimes it helps,,,, :D how you fish and where your at makes a difference,,,,,, :o but you better catch some fish on it,,,,,,,,,, ;D

Ron Jones

I'm certain that there is someone closer that will help, but if you absolutely need someone to put this together, I'd be happy to help.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 17, 2019, 04:10:08 AM

How much would it cost to get one of these antiques hopped up?  How would it cast?

Not going to cast like our Torques but not many reels do in this class of reels & have the refined over all smoothness.

I could be wrong but I think youd be very happy with what Ron is suggesting. these old style Tib framed reels took a while to grow on me.

But I'm fed up with buying the newest best stuff every other year or so it seems.

The smaller hopped  up Penns that work for lines 20 - 40 I like far better than the same done to a 4/0 & bigger framed Senators.

Fully understand fellas liking them.
But once I'm using 60 line & above I want the newer stuff.
Along with this I find the bigger hot rodded Penns to be a hinderance in reaching my goal. In light of other reels out there now days

This isnt an issue with the smaller hopped up models. This is nothing more than my
thoughts... Jeff

MarkT

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 19, 2019, 02:01:46 AM
are we talking the squidder or the torque?

Squidders are 3:1 with dime sized drags.  They cast pretty good... the Newell 220/229/235 are basically Squidder 145/145/140 with Jigmaster drags and 5:1 gears although you can get those old Newells with 3.6:1 gears... they're hard to find.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!