Shimano Torsa 40 - Jerky drag

Started by Dismissed, October 23, 2011, 07:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dismissed

Hello all,

Picked up a used Torsa 40, advertised to have been used twice.  Anyway, when i got it, drag is jerky like it has high spots in it, mainly feel it in one spot on each revolution.  Tore down, cleaned and greased everything, applied Cal's to washer, same problem.  Also, has LRS cam, and when set at 15 lbs @ strike, full is almost 30.  Seems way steep looking at shimano's lit on cams.  Thoughts?  Oh, and if it helps, appears reel used way more than twice as clicker mech is severely worn from use. 

Thanks!!

alantani

jim nomura as opened these up, but i haven't.  carbon fiber material for a drag washer, i presume. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dismissed

Carbon fiber it is.  Startup is fine, other than the high spot feel, everything else is OK.  Guess I need to buy a new washer and see what happens. 

Dismissed

Well, put new washers in, no change.  About to order new drag plate, as i guess this is the only thing left.  Just can't see anything wrong with them, and I know these reels aren't that old, so I have a hard time seeing that they're bad.  No saltwater intrusion whatsoever.  Will report back with new plates.

redsetta

G'day Dismissed,
I did a Torsa 16 recently (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2961.0#lastPost) and noticed the drag felt very slightly 'rough' when thumbing the spool and winding (with a relatively light drag).
Once spooled and on a rod, it appeared smooth and consistent, so I put it down to a quirk of the reel.
I'm interested to hear if you get a better result on the 40 with these changes...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dismissed

Update - put in a new drag plate in addition to the already brand new washer - better, but still feels as if there are high spots.....kinda baffled now....reels are in excellent condition, no corrosion whatsoever, only sign of use is a worn clicker pawl. 

Nessie Hunter

Try mounting the reel and setting drag HIGH. 
Then pulling some drag off like a fish run.???
Tie it to your Car????   

The Carbon fiber when new is not always perfect, this should seat/lap it into a better feel..
One good fish run and it will be gone..... 

I feel that slight high spot feeling often when putting in new washers.   
It goes away rapidly as the washer is seated in with a little use....
I always thumb the spool and turn the handle to check the reels drag when done, plus a lot of other bench tests...
Sometimes just tightening the drag all the way for a min or two will smooth it out...

It doesnt bother me anymore.   I sort of expect it now... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!