Daiwa Lexa wn 400h won’t engage

Started by Muskybeagle24, July 14, 2019, 04:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskybeagle24

Hello all I'm just getting into reel repair and is something I would like to learn just for myself and friends and need a little help with this problem. So my problem started when I was out on the water and my reel started to bog down and lost its smoothness I could feel resistance when reeling line in. So I decided to address the problem myself and figured I'd learn about my reel and I DID. I opened it and started cleaning with alcohol and looking everything over everything looked fine compared to other tutorials and pictures. And it was running silky smooth seemed back to normal EXCEPT the reel won't engage out of free spool when crancking the handle. It will manually with no problems. So I've torn apart and retorn apart everything for many hours trying to figure the problem out. The only thing I've learned besides how my reel goes together without pictures anymore is that the reel will engage every time with the COVER OFF but everything else installed (main gear, yoke, etc). Which is driving me crazy! Because I can't figure it out. The only think would be the something with the springs maybe connecting kick lever? But any help would be much appreciated so that I don't have to send my reel in for repair and feel defeated. Thanks

alantani

The ratchet gear has to engage the kick lever. The thumb bar pushes the kick lever down.  Then the kick lever rotates in towards the ratchet with a spring assist. Something about the side plate might be preventing the kick lever from rotating in.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Riy2018

I have similar issue with Lexa 300 HD. once you press thumb bar is it hard to engage. I added some synthetic oil on it but still it is not smooth that should be. Thinking this common issues with Lexas?

alantani

it happens with many reels.  they just get gummed up or corroded over time.  the lexa has its share of problems. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Petah

If you overtighten the two screws that hold the ratchet assbly down, the ratchet won't turn/

Peter

Riy2018

Quote from: alantani on September 23, 2019, 05:06:33 PM
it happens with many reels.  they just get gummed up or corroded over time.  the lexa has its share of problems. 

I have brand new unused reel from american legacy- Ive emailed them twice request for exchange.

chockpish

It's the kick lever spring that is week! Give it a bit of a bend or order a new! This was a problem with the 300's and 400's! A lot of these
reels were affected!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Riy2018

Quote from: chockpish on September 29, 2019, 10:55:41 PM
It's the kick lever spring that is week! Give it a bit of a bend or order a new! This was a problem with the 300's and 400's! A lot of these
reels were affected!

Thank you!

chockpish

No worries! Your welcome! I hope it works for you! I've always been partial to Daiwa! I have some 300's and 400's, that was one of the problems mentioned! I remember reading, on a forum I don't remember the name of, getting older sucks, for me anyway, that the problem of not reengaging was the kick lever spring being week! I've never had it happen to mine, but had heard about the problem, so I decided to look for a fix, just in case, and that's what I came up with! Hope this helps!

Tight lines, and be safe!
Mike!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Riy2018

Quote from: chockpish on October 01, 2019, 08:20:41 PM
No worries! Your welcome! I hope it works for you! I've always been partial to Daiwa! I have some 300's and 400's, that was one of the problems mentioned! I remember reading, on a forum I don't remember the name of, getting older sucks, for me anyway, that the problem of not reengaging was the kick lever spring being week! I've never had it happen to mine, but had heard about the problem, so I decided to look for a fix, just in case, and that's what I came up with! Hope this helps!

Tight lines, and be safe!
Mike!

I also found online YouTube video. will try.
Thank you