Newell reels

Started by DannyBoy, July 14, 2019, 05:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Quote from: DannyBoy on July 18, 2019, 11:26:04 PM
I tried a penn reel seat, it was a tad tight and it warped the frame, making the spool rub a lot.
I got new washers and bearings from Whittier on Ebay, great guy, helped me get these reels in top shape.
I would like to put a 229 on a black hole 731M, and the 235 on a black widow 300c for the Hellen H , deep water fluke trips I am planning on taking.  I may file down the 235, or find a similar rod to the black widow.
Thanks
Guys
I've shimmed the frame/bars with washers when swapping parts, including using newell parts.  It is what it is.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

G 220 on the left and C 220 on the right. The P's have the metal tongue's on the reel's foot. Maybe other models newer than the C series have them too?

Oh and both are braid backed and both fit on different winding machines when they were spooled.

SoCalAngler

If the fatter reel foot is a problem and your looking at getting a new rod you may want to think about a deckhand style rod without a reel seat.

DannyBoy

Correct, and a squared channel . As in my previous pic

SoCalAngler

So then look for the C series with the reel base your looking for, or maybe later models that came after the C's and see if they offer the same reel base.

Not real hard to check if the later models came that way but I bet you will have a hard time finding any reel feet that don't come with the rest of the reel. So I bet more money than you wanted to pay for just the foot.

Good luck as Newell parts are getting harder to find every day.

There was a seller on the bay a while back that was selling what they called NOS of Newell parts, mostly sideplates and frames in colors that Carl Newell never made, so not NOS. Since they made the frames and sideplates and such maybe they made reel feet also?

There was a post somewhere here on the AT site about them and their parts, not real positive but maybe they have what your looking for since it is just a reel foot or two?

Hamachi

Or you could jump down the rabbit hole and order tiburon frames for them all. One word of caution though, the frame for the 338 doesn't exactly fit all 338 without slight modification. You will have to ream out 2 or more screw holes on the inner rings or you chance stripping the threads on your inner screws (bolts). Line up the holes closest to the outer screws(crossbar holes) or you will run into additional clearance issues if you line up the base screws first. I don't think this was covered in the tutorials regarding this problem. This will get you close enough. I don't like the idea of omitting screws, but it's up to each individual to decide.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

DannyBoy

Lots of options you guys are offering, thank you.
Tiburon frames are my last resort, although an option for Newell's that need it, mine are not there yet.
I am having tackle world change a reel seat on a black widow 300 for me, to fit the Newell stands, and that rod will get a Newell 235 with 30lb mono for chunking bait for Stripers. And I'll use a 229 with 30lb braid on that rod for deep water fluking.
That's the plan, I do think I'll have a light setup that can bounce 8-12oz of lead if needed, for my mass. Hellen H trips.
Thanks
Dan