Lets get a round of applause for vinegar!

Started by tincanary, July 15, 2019, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: tincanary on July 17, 2019, 02:14:50 PM
I use this for cleaning frames and side plates as it leaves no residue behind.  Spray it on a microfiber and wipe the crud away.  It's a glass cleaner but it works wonderfully on light grease coatings as well.  I even use it to clean the spatter off of my black stove top.

It's expensive if you get it from Amazon, but Costco and Sam's Club sell a 4 pack for less than $10

A good glass cleaner like TC is showing does work really well.

For years now, after completing a reel — and double checking all functions, screw torques, and adjustments — I give it a light spray with WD-40 — wipe it as dry as possible — this gets all of the bits of grease and oil off from the reassembly process.

Then I use Gel-Gloss spray for a final wipe-down.  It gets all of the WD-40, fingerprints, and any missed residue off the finished product.  

Then just bag the reel for shipment in a cloth bag —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Not only does vinegar do an excellent job of removing the corrosion, it actually stops the chemical process of building the corrosion. Great stuff...I've sang it's praises since the first time I tried it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AC49

Quote from: mo65 on July 17, 2019, 07:26:46 PM
    it actually stops the chemical process of building the corrosion.  8)

And I believe that is the important part, to HALT that process.
Fully agree with Mo

Regards
AC49