Sl30sh Handle stuck to drive shaft

Started by Mrc70, July 27, 2019, 09:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hello everyone. Just acquired a used sl30sh and can't get the handle off the drive shaft. Any recommendations on getting it unstuck?  A few squirts of WD40 did not work.

Gfish

Freezing and(or) heating. Freezing first best, as heat can damage other non-metal parts.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Mrc70

Thanks. Never heard of freezing. What's the best way to freeze it?  Use Freeze Off??

foakes

I just bag it in a zip lock bag — and toss it in the freezer for 2-3 hours — or overnight.

Then when my heat is ready and staged — small butane torch or HD soldering iron — apply the heat then try to back it off — generally works — unless really rusted badly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mrc70

Gfish

Alright Hoss. Let us know. Yesterday, I unscrewed a stainless steel stud from an aluminium reel frame via freezing. The less dense metal probably contracts faster/more than the denser metal.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

if handle is trashed and you have to get a new one anyway, you can cut the handle literally in half with the cutting wheel of a dremel right at the drive shaft.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fish-aholic

Penetrating fluid and  using the star drag wheel to elevate the handle off the d/shaft. Works every time.  ;)

Mrc70

Quote from: alantani on July 28, 2019, 05:38:34 AM
if handle is trashed and you have to get a new one anyway, you can cut the handle literally in half with the cutting wheel of a dremel right at the drive shaft.   :-\

Yes I had to do exactly that to my other Sl20sh!  I hope I don't have to cut this one off.

Mrc70

Quote from: Fish-aholic on July 28, 2019, 01:02:01 PM
Penetrating fluid and  using the star drag wheel to elevate the handle off the d/shaft. Works every time.  ;)

Thanks. I am doing just that and it still won't budge!  I will try the freezing oil and report back with results..

Fish-aholic

A few squirts of WD40 isn't going to offer enough penetration as you are finding out. It is better to submerge the ceased parts in shallow WD40 bathes and left a day or two giving it a chance to penetrate deep and then have another go at it.

I personally use designated penetrating fluid and ceased handles are removed within the hour. When backing the star off I have two hands on opposing sides of the wheel to help adjust and creep handles off d/shafts. I put that much into it I often think I'm going to strip out the d/shaft and stars threads until I see some movement with the handle and with success a sigh of relief...

:)

Donnyboat

One of the best penetrating mixes is acetone & auto transmission fluid mixed 50/50, scrape as much corrosion away as possible, then coat it several times with that mix, then maybe force it of with the star, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

I've had good luck with 50/50 acetone trans fluid. I use the same little bottle like tsi321 comes in.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Mrc70

Thanks, everyone!  After soaking in WD-40 again and scraping off as much of the rust between the drive shaft and the handle using a nail, I was able to reverse the star drag and back the handle off! 

Cor

Cornelis