FG Knot

Started by mrbrklyn, July 27, 2019, 11:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I've been tryin to expand my knotting skills and I've been unhappy with both the blood knot and the Uni-Uni knot to tie my shock leader to the braid.  I have had the interesting thing happen that my blood knot was strong that my 30 lb braid.  That confused me a bit because I was losing my whole rig.  I finnaly marked the braid with a knot and relaized I actually lost the rig on the braid about the knot.

But I am still interested in the benifits of the FG knot and have looked around at instructions and tutorials.  I started with this one:

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/fg-knot

Which looked promising, but when I tried to follow it, I realized it is just wrong in the diagram on panel 4.  I looked at video and that was quite comical and fun, but not that helpful.  Myfavorite is the blond haired ausie with bare feet.  I was afaid that if he moved wrong, he would have accidently lynched himself :)

This one looked promising:
https://www.101knots.com/fg-knot.html

And I followed the video, and the video and the diagram doesn't agree!  Best yet, I'm not sure from the diagram which is the braid and which is the leader.

this one, you can't see and knot while he is tieing.

This one is intereting but looks completely different than the others.

It is hard to fdollow any of these.  Does anyone have a favorite tuorial for this?

Newell Nut

Go to you tube and search for "modified FG knot". This is the one that I use and it works perfect casting and strength.

akfish

The FG knot is trendy now and probably very good. But for me, it's too complex to tie in a hurry white out fishing. I've relied exclusively on the RP knot for the last few years and have yet to have a failure, and that includes several large tuna using 80, 100 and 130# spectra with short  80 - 130# fluorocarbon top shots. I also use it to connect lighter 40 and 50# leaders to 65# spectra on my wahoo gear. My feeling is that there are lots of good knots that will just fine -- if they are tied correctly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

PacRat

I use the FG knot when I pre-tie my top-shots at home. Then I use the RP knot if I need to re-tie on the boat. FG seems to cast better but it is a PIA on the water.
-Mike

Swami805

I use the RP also, easy to tie and no failures so far.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

I find this easy for me.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

Out of all the ways I've tied the FG this is the easiest & best method I've found for myself.

The biggest mistake I see tying this knot is not cinching it down very tight prior to finishing it off with what ever method you desire.

Failure or success of this knot even when tied properly is based on properly tightening it to where the mono wraps change color... Jeff

boon

Those first two sites with the diagrams, dunno what knot that is but it's not anything like what's generally considered to be an "FG" knot. The major benefit of the FG and PR knots, other than their strength, is that the leader is never doubled. This makes for an extremely low-volume knot that is very smooth through the guides.

I don't like the method of that Rad Reeling Fishing video. You need at least a little bit of load on the braid to make the wraps good. When I tie them on the water, I usually tie a figure 8 in the braid and then hold it in my teeth with the rod in a rod holder to provide the pull. Otherwise you can throw a quick and dirty loop in the braid (surgeons loop is fine) and put it around the handle of your reel... just makes it fiddly tieing close to your reel, or you end up with a huge tag end to cut off.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mrbrklyn on July 28, 2019, 04:44:22 AM
skip the first 4 minutes, 37 seconds of the video...

Right !

oc1

The mono is doubled in the RP knot.  Since the mono is the larger of the two lines, doubling it gives the knot more girth.  More girth makes it more difficult to get through the guides. 

I think the FG is the only knot where there but one mono diameter.  This makes for a smaller girth.  The small girth on the FG is it's beauty and the reason people go through so much trouble to tie one.
-steve

Brewcrafter

I'm with many in the above.  When I am prepping gear at home (or on the ride out on a multi day) when I do not splice hollow core, the FG knot is my go to since as Steve points out - the leader is not doubled.  But when you are in fish and in a hurry - the RP knot is fast, easy and very proven.  One thing I do "knot" see mentioned above is when I am tying under "casual" conditions, I will use UV Glue - not because I think it makes the knot any stronger, but because I feel it smooths it out and helps prevent abrasion.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Brewcrafter on July 28, 2019, 07:59:47 PM
..... One thing I do "knot" see mentioned above is when I am tying under "casual" conditions, I will use UV Glue - not because I think it makes the knot any stronger, but because I feel it smooths it out and helps prevent abrasion.

This is as I see it a necessity when & if using the FG with short leader that will be cast through the guides. Makes this connection last at least twice as long when casting... Jeff

oc1

I can't get my leader to out-last the knot.  20# PowerPro to 20# blue Seaguar

I would be afraid the glue would make the knot stiffer (less flexible) and more difficult to get through the tip-top on retrieve.  The knot flies out of the guides fine, but sometimes there is a little hic-up getting back through the tip when the line is at a sharp angle to the rod.
-steve

boon

Quote from: oc1 on July 28, 2019, 07:48:25 AM
I think the FG is the only knot where there but one mono diameter.  This makes for a smaller girth.  The small girth on the FG is it's beauty and the reason people go through so much trouble to tie one.
-steve

The PR knot (not to be confused with the RP!) is a single-mono knot. It's tied with a bobbin, and a much longer knot than the FG. It is arguably a few % stronger, and you can completely whip both the mono and braid tag ends for a very smooth knot... I'll tie it at home on the couch with a bobbin, but out on the sea I revert to the FG.

r8rs4lf

FG at home

Tony Pena on the boat if needed.