FG Knot

Started by mrbrklyn, July 27, 2019, 11:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: boon on July 29, 2019, 02:15:56 AM
The PR knot (not to be confused with the RP!) is a single-mono knot.
Sorry Boon.  I did have RP confused with PR.  Never heard of the PR but it looks like something I would enjoy and am going to try it.
-steve

boon

Very tricky knot to master with many subtle variations.
I'm very much still new to the PR. In light lines I still prefer the FG as the ultimate in smoothness through the guides.

Tunacious

To the OP...see if these help with the knot.

Basically, I do the wraps, make a single half hitch, tighten both main lines (not the tags)and then make a finishing knot. I only do a single half hitch and I really don't even need that. I  could do the wraps, make a Rizzuto and then tighten...done. I'd rather have a strong finishing knot (like Rizzuto) rather than a series of half hitches...YMMV

1)   
This method works for me, though I do a variation of it. After I complete the wraps, I then do a single half hitch. I then tighten both main lines (not the tags). My final step is to do a 7 turn (or more) Rizzuto finish knot. Tighten the Rizzuto and you're good to go.

2)   
This demo shows how I prefer to make the wraps, except I make a few wraps around only my pinky finger. Secondly, as stated above, upon completing the wraps, I only do a single half hitch. Thirdly, I then pull on both main lines (not tags) to tighten the knot. Lastly, I finish with my Rizzuto finishing knot. In this demo, he doesn't tighten the knot after completing the wraps, which IMHO, is a mistake.

3)   
This is another method that works, especially for heavy mono/flouro. This demo also shows the Rizzuto finish.

4)   
Some folks prefer this method. I only show this method so you can see the Rizzuto finish better. He goes right into the Rizzuto finishing knot after doing the wraps...he doesn't do a half hitch in between like I do. He then tightens the knot after making the wraps and Rizzuto.

oc1

His Rizzuto finish is nice, but I don't like his alternating half hitches on the transition section. If you tie alternating half hitches (one over then one under) each hitch will tend to loosen the one that was tied before it.  If you tie the half hitches all in the same direction then each hitch will tend to tighten the one that came before it as they spiral around the mono.

I don't like the overhand knot at the very end either.  That overhand knot will never be snug against the Rizzuto and will make an extra little bump.  Having the tag end fray is OK with me as it makes the overall profile smoother.
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve, I agree with everything you posted above. I've never heard a good explanation for alternating half hitches. I don't believe there is one.  
I claim to be no expert at knots. I do earn most of my income working high up from towers too trees & my life at times is dependent on using & properly tying the right knot... Jeff  

Fishy247

The FG has been fantastic for me since I saw it on here. Super low profile and casts like a dream. I was simply finishing it with several half hitches and it held up just fine, but the half hitches would inevitably come untied. The FG still held just fine though. Watching one of the videos above, I FINALLY figured out how to do the Rizutto finish. I think it will be a smoother transition for when I'm cranking in a fish.

xaf

I believe the steps as shown are correct.  It is difficult to see but step 5 goes on the opposite side of the braid therefore it does not undo step 4.  Again step 5 and 7 go on opposite sides of the braid so they are not identical.  The problem I have is with the way they show the weave.  Either this is a different variation of the FG then most of us use or they are showing the weave incorrectly.  
If you study the knot and animation closely you will notice that the mono is on the outside wrapping around 2 separate strands of braid as they make their weaves before finishing the knot.  But if you look at the examples of the FG that are posted throughout this thread the braid is weaved around the mono and is on the outside of the knot.

boon

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 07, 2019, 03:24:17 PM
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/fg-knot

Can someone confirm that this diagram and animation is essentially incorrect.  Step 4 to Step 5 seems to just undo step 4.  Step 5 and seven seem to be identical.

I'm pretty certain that's not even an FG knot.

Tunacious

Quote from: boon on September 08, 2019, 03:37:51 AM
Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 07, 2019, 03:24:17 PM
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/fg-knot

Can someone confirm that this diagram and animation is essentially incorrect.  Step 4 to Step 5 seems to just undo step 4.  Step 5 and seven seem to be identical.

I'm pretty certain that's not even an FG knot.

Actually it is an FG, though it's poorly shown. Look at this video (go to 40 second mark)
:

I prefer this method though I do a few things differently. See my explanations in my prior post - #18.

There are several ways to make this knot. It's possible to wrap the mono/flouro around the braid (like above video) OR wrap the braid around the mono/flouro...see videos in my prior post.

oc1

If the mono/floro is pulled really tight as the wraps are laid down, the braid will sit on the outside.  If the braid is pulled really tight as the wraps are laid down, the mono/floro will sit on the outside.

He has it all screwed up in the diagram.
-steve

xaf

All the FG knots I have ever seen tied with braid and mono/Fluoro have had the braid outside biting into the mono but I think it must be a variation on the FG because I found another animation tied the same way.

There are so many variations on how to tie the FG I would find one that is easier to understand.  

I don't tie mine this way but it is one of the easiest to understand and tie.  

CapeFish

Interesting videos, thanks, the animation one does not look like an FG at all though? I still hate it and have now completely stopped tying it  ::) ;D