How many yards of dacron for surmaster 250 platic spool?

Started by Kalbi, July 29, 2019, 07:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalbi

Aloha,

I have an old surmaster 250 with a standard width plastic spool.  I was wondering how many yards of dacron is recommend for backing to avoid breaking the spool.  I was planning on putting a topshot of 30lb mono. Also, what's recommended for splicing dacron and mono?  Can you tie and FG knot with dacron?

CooldadE

I found in a 1950 No. 15 Penn catalog that the Penn Surfmaster reel holds 200 yards Of No. 12 line . I'm not sure if that is referring to Dacron or Linen line. I don't think they mean 12 lb. test line.  Maybe someone saltier than I can chime in and clarify what No. 12 line refers to...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

akfish

You really don't need much -- maybe 25 yards. The idea is to have a few wraps deep of Dacron to take the pressure off mono compaction.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Kalbi

I appreciate your input.  Most of the dacron line I'm seeing online are 20-30lb fly line backing.  I have 90 yards of 65lb test braid left over from a reel I recently spooled.  The braided line is .41 inches in diameter.  Do you think 90 yards of 65lb braid will provide enough cushion to prevent my spool from cracking under pressure?  Or, should I use the dacron fly line backing instead?

akfish

90 yards of 65# braid will work fine. Then pick a mono thick enough to keep from getting between the spool and frame. Then go catch a fish!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

George6308

I would change that old bakelight spool to the new Aluminium 29L-500 spool. Those old spools are very brittle. If you want to use braided Dacron it is available. You can find it on line.
All my Penns have Aluminium spools (the "L" in the Penn part number signifies Aluminium spool) as I have replaced all the older Bakelight ones due to brittleness and spooled them with older style braided Dacron line or use newer type braids.