Most Common Parts to Keep On Hand

Started by GooseCreekRods, July 29, 2019, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GooseCreekRods

What are the most common parts to keep on-hand? Parts you would not want to be caught without. I do baitcasting, spinning, fresh and saltwater. Obviously, I can't have every part for every reel. I'm interested specifically in what size of bearings would you keep plenty in stock? What are the most common sizes? Aside from bearings, what else would you recommend? Be as specific as possible. Thanks!
Goose Creek Rod & Reel
Indian Trail, NC

akfish

It really depends on the particular reels you work on. When I started in 2000, about 80% of the reels that came through my shop were Penns -- 320s, 330s, 113H and 114H, 49, was well as the Spinfisher series of spinning reels. I kept level wind worm gears, pawls, drag washers, and bearings for these reels. These days I doubt even 20% of the reels I see are Penn. Lots of Shimano and Avets come in these days. My point is that you need particular parts for the particular reels you see most often and trying to guess this over time is tough.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hardy Boy

I 100 % agree with akfish. You will soon find out what reels you see the most of and take it from there with : worm gears , pawls, idler gears, drag washers and bearings. I keep more parts in stock then I ever though I would..................... and I do it just as a hobby. Just helps move stuff out rather than waiting for parts to come in.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd