alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 14, 2019, 10:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction  (Read 883 times)
Crow

Dauphin Island Sunset

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 05:29:58 AM »

Most great "success stories", are built up on a foundation of "tried, and failed" stories...….your Gramps was a wise man.....you learn WAY more from the "tried, and failed", than you do from the 1st time successes !
   I understand your need for concern about the wiring job......if it fails you, at sea, it's a long walk home !! If you have an eperienced guy check your schematic, take care to use good materials, and use your usual (from what I've seen of your other work) attention to details, it'll be fine ! Maybe, for a bit of "peace of mind", do a few "practice connections", and have your "guy" look them over, and give a few suggestions (if needed) ?!
   Just make your connections "secure"....mechanically, as well as electrically . Secure the wire "runs" so they aren't able to "chafe" against anything (or, each other), and put your fuses , or circut breakers in an easy to get to, and ventilated area, and use components of the correct size / capacity for the job (and of the best "quality" you can get !).
 Wish I was "close enough" to drop by, lend a hand....and go with you on the " first trip" !!

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »

Hi Col, great job our doing there, make sure you place a fuse in the wiring to your bilge pump, a mate of ours, turnt his bilge pump on, then could smell smoke, a length of braid, had tangled in the pump, over loading it, then the wire over heated, then the plastic started to burn, right next to his fuel line, luckily he manage to put it out, who ever fitted the pump, never place a fuse in the wiring, so keep up the good work your doing, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
Darin Crofton
Tampa, FL Photographer
Firearms Group

Work is for people who don't fish!

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »

Looking good there mate!

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?
milne

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »

Hi Crow,   All great suggestions, and I think I'm going to head along those lines.  I just need to work out total loads on the main positive wire going forward
               Then each individual wire from there, that's really my greatest concern. I actually re wired an old Triumph Bonneville a while back, it was a lot easier as the entire loom came Pre built, I just had to make some adjustments to the standard set up. So I'm comfortable giving soldering and doing good crimps etc,,  it's really getting the schematics and the right weight wire for each task.  I've been doing a lot of research, and things are a wee bit clearer, but It does make me nervous !!!.   And if ever you are down this way sir, there is always room on the boat for a quick fish close by, no problems.

Hey Don,  Coincedently, on bilge pump wiring, I got a complete wiring diagram with the rule Bilge pump, which came with everything needed, which I thought was brilliant and it clearly shows that fuse you talk of. I'm having an auto option, as I sleep out occasionally and sometimes when over in Portland chasing the Tuna, the new Marina there offer secure mooring over night, which really saves launching cues etc, So I have that option of manual switch or setting it to auto when moored.
 And that near disaster you mentioned, is why I am treading carefully with my re wire, I too have heard of some very close shaves.
A friend of mine got a deck wash fitted by the local marine shop, then went out for a few hours on the snapper, when he came in and was driving to the boat wash place about 2-3 km from the ramp, everyone was tooting at him, he thought that was strange. He arrived at the boat wash, drove straight into the bay, only to hop out of the car and find that smoke was billowing out of his boat. Luckily for him he was at the boat wash, so on with the water and situation averted.  They had wired his deck wash wrong !!  had he have carried on home and not stopped, by then it would have been alight for sure.

Hey Darin,  Hope all is well mate !
        Have you given that hotted up Squidder a good work out yet Huh?.
        Mine is still sitting there half done at the minute, along with a couple of other projects.

Col
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: