money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction

Started by milne, July 30, 2019, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you getting all the little kinks out and working in some fishing time along with it. Good to have that local knowledge, have fun, be safe!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

The boat and your great skills look really good, Col!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Good Col, have a nice time, with your maiden voyage, one thing I find when placing the boat back onto the trailer, is to just have the back roller only just under the water, then as you pull the boat out of the water, the #### end will line up straight with the rollers, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

I put almost $18,000.00 into a 1976 Aquasport 17' center console.

Everything on it was brand new. Every nut bolt, screw, wire, and electronics, poly gas tank, we're new. The 90 horse Evinrude was rebuilt with a 3 year warranty.

It's top speed was 45mph. With its low deadrise Hull it would slide through the turns.

I did most of the work myself but the gel coat I farmed out.

My neighbor bought it for $8,000.00.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

milne

I'm hearing you Keith,
I think you never really get back what you put into these old fibre glass boats, unless you intend to get the full use out of them on the water..

Well, had the maiden voyage, the new engine went flawlessly, you would have needed a crow bar to pry the smile off my face Only one wee hiccup which I will have to look into, the hydraulic steering gave me some grief, so I'll have to have a wee tinker with that before the next trip..
Tried to upload a wee video of our run, but wouldn't down load. Took a couple of stills, not the best photo's but gives you an idea of the size of this river, some beautiful properties positioned right on the banks, some with there own small jetties, very nice indeed.
I'll take better perspective photo's next time out..

Col 

David Hall

Its 3 months later and I am sitting here wondering how the boat is working out and what you are fishing for?
Update when you can.  :d

Shellbelly

I hope this helps yall feel better.  This one is still for sale.IMG_0481.jpg
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

Yep we need MO pix.

Excellent work my friend. I feel your pain monetarily as I restored a 1960 Chris Craft Super Sport with a V-8 283 Chevy engine.
 Solid Mahogany top and Bottom .Bottom was true Ship Lap not plywood like the Runabouts.
I had a company re-caulk and tighten all the Brass Screws on  the Bottom and I did everything else .
Maiden Voyage  they had left a six foot plank loose and my Daughter said there was water seeping in ,which I said it's ok the Cotton Caulk is still swelling to seal off . Nope ,had a B-52  Fuel transfer Pump as a bilge shooting a 1 inch stream of lake water 20 foot in the air but just could not pump the Lake Dry enough to Keep the Stern a float and Blub ,Blub Blub  .........
Bust Out Another Thousand
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

milne

Quote from: David Hall on July 23, 2022, 03:01:32 PMIts 3 months later and I am sitting here wondering how the boat is working out and what you are fishing for?
Update when you can.  :d

I missed this post, my apologies David.
Not a heck of a lot to report unfortunately.... Got 2 or 3 more runs up the river and one run thru the bar and out wide, no fishing, to get the required hours done for the mandatory 3 month service on the new engine,, THEN, the weather here has been atrocious for the last 2 1/2 months !!  Out wide has been out of the question because of the storms we have been having, and with the water temperatures that remained unusually high throughout, prolonging the marlin season, we could all only watch. The winds quickly turned into heavy rain and we have been getting absolutely smashed with recurrent storms, we have had near 600mm of rain in the last 6 weeks alone. But, things are now on the turn and hopefully in the upcoming few weeks, we should be able to get out and hit our tuna season..The river is normally a good option when out wide is too rough, but the river has been a chocolate brown and full of logs from all the rain we have had...  I only started the motor up yesterday to keep everything charged and just stood there shaking my head while it idled away  :( ...  Hope to be out and about over the next week or so and will definitely post up some photo's of what we manage to wind in...

Col

David Hall

Wow those are storms that we never see here, we can't seem to get an inch in California. already into our fire season.  I feel for you having to wait them all out.
can't wait to see some action pics hang in and soon enough the fishing grounds will open up for you.