Sticky or gooey handle knobs

Started by Fishead, July 31, 2019, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

I have a couple reels here that the handle knob is sticky to touch. It doesn't look like it is deteriorating, just sticky to touch. Any thoughts on getting rid of it. Handles are perfect otherwise.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Keta

Quote from: Fishead on July 31, 2019, 01:18:20 PM
I have a couple reels here that the handle knob is sticky to touch. It doesn't look like it is deteriorating, just sticky to touch. Any thoughts on getting rid of it. Handles are perfect otherwise.

If it is fish slime try white vinegar.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Fishead on July 31, 2019, 01:18:20 PM

shimano knobs are know for that kind of problem, once they start like that there is no way to stop it other than changing the knob, good thing is that instead of getting another stock handle with a stock knob this is your chance to just drill out the knob and install something better, you wallet is your only limit for the thounsands of current options on knobs

The Baja Guy

oc1

Getting insect repellant on the knob will make them do that.  I don't know what the solvent is in a can of bug spray but it changes the plastic forever.
-steve

thorhammer

Generally an isobutene derivative. I have same issue on Calcutta's. easiest fix is slip over paddle covers, sold at cabelas or BPS.

boon

Yep once they go tacky, that's it, they're done. Toriums and Trinidads seem to be the worst for it, followed closely by Calcuttas. The egg-shaped handles on the spinners seem to be less prone to it.

Apparently sunscreen is really bad for them?

Lunker Larry

I like to shine up a reel when I'm finished and use Turtle Detail spray. Noticed that it really cuts down on the gooey stickiness of the knobs. Not sure why. Maybe it just coats it but it does make a difference. give it a try.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Benni3

Doing paint and body work I have seen this before,,,,, :( and wet sand the top coat off and polished it helps,,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Steve hit on a good point - many popular insect repellents use DEET (don't ask me what that means) but from what I understand that besides deterring biting insects it is also an industrial solvent for plastics.  Reason I know this is that there are several videos/how to's when it comes to brightening up the plastic headlight lenses of modern cars you can swipe a towel with insect repellent across a couple of times and it removes all of the oxidation.  Having done that, I can say it works!  What I also learned, it basically softens/dissolves the plastic that the lens is made of - if you go back a few minutes later you can use your thumbnail to leave an impression in the plastic.  Now I know many people "swear" by this fix, and yes, it does appear to work, but I've stopped spraying the stuff on my skin.  And as far as the headlights on the cars I now go the laborious route of polishing with fine compound and then hitting with wax. - john

oc1

I live in a mosquito-infested swamp and use bug spray almost every day.  I'm sure it's killing me, but the alternative is to never go outside.  My headlights are frosted too.  Woe is me.
-steve

CapeFish

It could also be the sun deteriorating it. There is nothing you can do about it, the torium handles break up over time. Replacing with something better is the only solution

Lunker Larry

I blame it more on sunscreen than bug spray though we used a bug spray in the army that worked great but dissolved watch straps, discoloured plastics etc and was great for lighting fires.
I should be a deet junky by now ;D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Cor

Quote from: CapeFish on August 01, 2019, 08:19:54 AM
It could also be the sun deteriorating it. There is nothing you can do about it, the torium handles break up over time. Replacing with something better is the only solution
Yes I think it is often the sun and other solvents.

I sometimes use acetone and more often Paint thinners as a reel cleaning agent.   One of those affected my Shimano white handles as they have only a fairly thin layer of rubbery stuff.   The rubber became loose or stretched.   I stuck them back on with Superglue which has worked but it does not look to great.
Cornelis

Fishead

Yup, these are Trinidad & Torium handles. I'm pretty sure it's not from sunscreen but who knows. I do not see any part numbers on the schematics for the handle knob but I have seen them offered separately in the past. I would like to keep them original if possible. Where can I find the knob for the Trinidad TN 14?
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

steelfish

Quote from: Fishead on August 01, 2019, 01:41:18 PM
I would like to keep them original if possible. Where can I find the knob for the Trinidad TN 14?

buddy, no offense but after reading that those stock shimano knobs are prone to go bad in a minute with regular chemicals you are still thinking to install a stock one?

Im pretty sure shimano dont offer those knobs separatelly any longer cuz the old gold trinidad models (tn14) are been discountinued by shimano, so your best bet is to find a complete stock handle assembly on ebay for your model (expect to pay premium price), dont get me wrong, my trini16 and calcutta 400TE have stock handles and after many years of use their stock knobs are in perfect shape, so no need to change them, I actually recenlty I installed a trini12 handle on my calcutta TE as power handle and it works great.

The Baja Guy