Conventional (baitcaster) reel for light/medium saltwater use

Started by Decker, August 02, 2019, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I'm looking for a recommendation for a baitcaster reel throwing up to 3 oz jigs in saltwater.  I'm currently using a Squidder 146 with 15lb Fireline, which I like for bottom-jigging fluke and black sea bass in NJ.  The reason I'm looking for a baitcaster is that it helps to be able to cast yds out 30yds or so from the boat.  With the 146, I don't have quite enough control to be comfortable lobbing out the jig, and tend to get little "yo-yo" backlashes.  On an open bay, I'm good distance-casting the Squidder, but don't do well with the shorter casts from the boat. 

The newer baitcast reels seem so advanced in cast control, lightness, line lay, crank speed, and drag strength -- but I don't have enough experience to choose a good one.  I like conventional reels over spinners.  Hoping the same reel might be useful for light surf fishing as well.   

Is there anything I can find used for about $50.  It doesn't need to be the latest & greatest.

xjchad

Joe,
For $50, I think an older Ambassadeur might be a good option.
For something new, I've heard good things about the Abu Garcia Black Max (no personal experience with that one though).
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on August 02, 2019, 04:42:32 PM
Joe,
For $50, I think an older Ambassadeur might be a good option.
For something new, I've heard good things about the Abu Garcia Black Max (no personal experience with that one though).

Do the 6500's do well with casting light braid?   I could probably go higher on price...

Gfish

If you don't mind going vintage, the Ambassadeur 5000 series. I have a '73, plain 5000(no clicker) w/ 14 lb. Fireline(good stuff, huh?), easy to adjust/access the spool bushings, and the "2 pronged" centrifugal cast control. GOOD: only 1 nylon(?), bushing on crank shaft, rest except for knobs and drags= metal, surprisingly good caster w/ great control; lotsa used one's available and popular enough to have parts/aftermarket upgrades avalible; possibly remove levelwinder. BAD: small handle and dragstar; has levelwinder. I believe upgrades exist for the handle and dragstar and I know parts for the levelwinder are out there. Tough little reel. I'mina keep mine original, I've serviced it and may keep it as a shelfie, while I use the Abu Revo Toro Beast in place of it. Good luck Joe.

Whoa, Chad and I are on the same page, he's just faster!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishy247

I've got a 5000 and a 6000 that are loaded with 30# braid. They both cast like a dream! Either of those with CF drags would be sweet for seabass and fluke.

Mike

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

Oh yeah, tip: I waited 'till I found one on da Bay, sold by a guy from the mid-west, i.e., no saltwater use! and it turned out to be in great shape.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Decker on August 02, 2019, 04:57:24 PM
Do the 6500's do well with casting light braid?   I could probably go higher on price...

The 5500 and 6500 will cast just about any line you can spool on them. We've fished those things succesfully with everything from super thin braid to 40lb. mono. Myself...I stay away from the really light braid...why cause yourself trouble? 30lb. braid is only the diameter of 8lb. mono.
   That Black Max is a killer reel for the money. I see tons of them on fleabay for around $30. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Decker, there are so many choices, but what I would go with in that price range is a nice used Daiwa Millionaire 6HM. It's like the Abu 6500 but with one-piece aluminum frame and 6 disk drag.

Or like Mo has posted about, a Kastking  ;D

Decker

Thanks, guys!  

One of the reasons I like using light braid is that it cuts through the water well, and works with lighter jigs in water 40-60 ft deep.  The breaking strength of 14lb Fireline is not enough to anchor a boat, but does the job for the fish.

I'm going to look for an Abu.   I may even try a lefty, because I like the idea of casting without changing hands.

What can you do with that Toro Beast Gregg?  

P.S. That  Daiwa Millionaire 6HM looks good too! 

nelz

Quote from: Decker on August 02, 2019, 05:26:16 PMP.S. That  Daiwa Millionaire 6HM looks good too!

There's a few other Daiwa Millionaire's with different model numbers like the Daiwa Millionaire II 6000 that are basically all the same, parts interchangeable.

The Toro Beast is alot of $$$

But I was serious about the Kastkings (Rover), they get great reviews for a cheap reel.

Gfish

It's a Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast. Casts like a dream, 1/2-2 oz., 40 lb. p. pro., with about 3 diffrent cast control mechanisms. The "big deal" for me, is the drag. It adjusts under a load on the line. I's surprised to find out that a typical star drag bait caster locks up at a given drag setting(lever drag too???)as long as there's pressure on the system. Not good if ya get a big'un up next to the boat with the drag pretty tight and it decides to exert that last bit of escape energy-----"SNAP!"
As Nelz say's they might still be cost prohibitive, as the new one's a couple a years ago were around $300.

oc1

I love the ABU 5000 and there are always a ton of used ones for sale cheap.  However, modern low profile baitcasting reels with disengaging levelwind and more refined brakes will out-cast the ABU round reels and are more comfortable to palm.  They seem to hold their value better too and you may not find one from a reputable brand in that price range.  A good used Shimano low profile on ebay will often cost nearly as much as new and some discontinued models cost way more than they did new.  The Shimano round reels like Calcutta hold their value well too and are never cheap.

Kastking has a low profile reel with all (or at least most) of the bells and whistles that can be bought NIB for about forty bucks.  

-steve

foakes

Here is a Made in Sweden Abu 6001C Hi-Speed Lefty, Joe —

Perfect condition — only used in fresh water.

These have the larger handles.

If it would work for you, NC — still at the same address?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

The Toro Beast is definitely cost-prohibitive for me, but I like hearing about it.

I have a righty Abu 6000 sitting at home that I should probably fix up and try first.  

If I buy something, I'll look for a lefty.