Conventional (baitcaster) reel for light/medium saltwater use

Started by Decker, August 02, 2019, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Kastking color codes most of their low profile reels. Black is usually 7.2 ratio, red is 9.0, blue is 6.7, white is 5.6, etc. based on the model. Most models come in different colors according to their ratios.

Decker

I bought a bunch of custom rods from the estate of a local amateur rod builder, one of which is a spiral-wrapped one-piece casting rod that I hope to use with that reel.  For fluke jigging in NJ, most fishermen use light gear -- willowy (by saltwater standards) 7-8 foot rods, with light braid and little 3500-sized spinning reels.   The rods are often rated for up to 1 oz. lures, but somehow they get used to bounce 3-5 oz. jigs.  My rod spirals to the right, indicating it was intended to balance with a lefty reel. 

This will be my first lefty conventional reel.  I am left-handed but somewhat ambidextrous.  Left handed work tends to be more detailed and creative, and right handed more powerful and objective.  Jigging the rod all day is a better job for the right.  We'll see how the left hand does with the reel.   Doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, especially given that standard spinning reels crank on the left.