Introduction and a frustrating situation!

Started by BrettS, August 02, 2019, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: BrettS on August 03, 2019, 12:40:44 AM
Still haven't found that damn spring but I have a little more looking to do

been there done that

I know where your spring is hiding, that spring is next to the black sock you needed on that special celebration that you never found that day, well the key is to find that sock and the spring will be next to it.

hint hint..I still havent found 45 socks and 34 springs
The Baja Guy

foakes

Dropped off a couple in the mail today, at the Post Office, Brett —

Couple of funny things to remember about these tiny parts, such as dog springs.

When one would fly off at warp speed into lower Earth orbit — I would listen for where it might have landed.

Trouble with dog springs — they are so light, I can seldom hear them — and if I did hear the first bounce, they are so springy that they end up somewhere else anyway...

Other thing is — I keep a few wide mouth tubs of grease on the bench.  Check these periodically, along with the application brushes — often a spring or small part gets caught in the grease.

Another place they hide — is on the bottom of the magnetic cover on my IPad.

Spares are the best bet — eventually you will find the springs when you least expect it.

Also, using Alan's tutorial about how to insert the spring under the bridge plate — then rotate it into position — works every time.  I doubt that I have lost more than 3 dog springs over the last 10 years — and that is after servicing hundreds of Penns.

I am ready to do another semi-major rearrangement of the upstairs shop that will involve the main 10' bench, a grinding and burnishing station, a double line winder station, a shipping and receiving station, along with other changes.

As I do the remodel — It will be interesting to see what tiny parts come home to roost.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

By taking the time to look, I can always find a missing part.  The trouble is, it is always a different missing part than the one I'm looking for at the moment.
-steve

BrettS

VICTORY!!!! Against all odds I found it, had an idea of where it should be because I did hear it as it fell. Thanks again for the suggestions, and to Fred for sending some. If anyone ever finds themselves in the same situation I'll be the first to offer to send a replacement. So I used Alan's technique in the tutorial link combined with the working in the bag and a dab of grease on the spring approach. How about the guy who runs the site reading and commenting on my first post? Thanks Alan. And wow does this board have some reach! I feel like I have been welcomed by someone from every corner of the US and a surprising number of folks from around the world.
Catch a big one.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BrettS

You have created something pretty great here Alan. I have a few general questions if y'all don't mind; where do I find instructions for posting pics? And what would the most appropriate place to post a reel handle ID question I have? That Squidder I bought recently has an odd bent arm and oversized wood knob that I cannot find any info on. Thanks guys.
Catch a big one.

Maxed Out

Quote from: BrettS on August 04, 2019, 04:39:51 PM
You have created something pretty great here Alan. I have a few general questions if y'all don't mind; where do I find instructions for posting pics? And what would the most appropriate place to post a reel handle ID question I have? That Squidder I bought recently has an odd bent arm and oversized wood knob that I cannot find any info on. Thanks guys.

Welcome Brett, you can post your squidder handle question in several places on the forum. I'd suggest one of the Penn sections.

To add a picture to your post, you simply click on "additional options" and then click "browse" and then you can add any pic from any file on your computer. It's actually really simple. If I can do it anyone can

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BrettS

Thanks guys! See you over in the penn forums!
Catch a big one.

Decker

My advice - I have a six-year-old daughter too!  When I lose a spring, I call her.  Her eyes are 10 times better than mine.  She finds the spring, and there is much rejoicing!   She is the hero!

The grease that Rudy mentioned is a big help too.  Keeps the spring sticky and a little heavier.

Keta

The spring is hiding with missing Sox.  Hi.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Welcome 🙏, from se Alaska,  🦀. many a good spring is never found ever again.  Glad you're here and enjoying Alan's site.  The other somewhat alarming part of the forum is your time is recorded and you can see how much time you have spent learning and sharing when you login.🐬
   The folks here are always friendly and ready to help on any topic.   You choose.

ez2cdave

Quote from: BrettS on August 04, 2019, 04:39:51 PM

Brett,

Welcome to the Forum . . . You are among Friends here !

The Squidder is my all-time favorite reel !

The reel in the pics below is a full Accurate conversion PENN 140L Squidder ( it now has a Newell spool on it, slightly lighter than the "stock" 140L PENN spool ) . . .

According to PENN Catalog 39B, from 1983, a "stock" 140L weighs 18oz. As "dressed" in those pics, with an EMPTY Newell spool, the reels weighs 20.1 oz. . . . The Rod Clamp, weighs 1.1 oz., by itself . . . I thought the Accurate parts would add a lot of weight, but they don't !

Tight Lines !

Dave F.
near Raleigh, NC USA

Bill B

Welcome to the Darkside Brett....been there done that with the dog springs....I've gotten into the habit of threading some dental floss or guide wrapping thread through the spring to slow them buggers down....white makes it easier to find......Bill, Southern California
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wascallywabit

Welcome!

Losing dog springs is a rite of passage!

If you've worked on Penn Senators, you've lost dog springs.