New reel handles don’t fit- help

Started by Mrc70, August 04, 2019, 04:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hi everyone.  I just purchased two reel handles on eBay and the description says they are the standard 8mmx5mm hole in the handles. The ad also said that the handles would fit my two reels: Daiwa Grandwave 30 and Shimano TLD 15/30. I really like the look and size of the handles but do not fit the 8x5mm holes!  So my question is: should I try to file down the handle holes/ reel drive shaft or should I simply return the handles ?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gfish

A picture, if you can post one, would be great. I have the TLD 15 with a stock handle. Myself, I'd probably file them, but there will be corrosion to deal with if used in saltwater, as the finish will be removed, so you might wanna return 'em.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

Filing the handle should be quick and easy. I'd go with that.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Should be ok filing the handles if it's close but don't file the gear sleeve. If they were expensive I might send them back though.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Mrc70

Thanks, guys.  I agree to file the handle and not the drive shaft.  I put the new handle up against the old handles and the hole is just a bit smaller on the new handle..  I will report back with results.. :)

Mrc70

Here is a picture. You can see the blue hole is a tiny bit smaller than the silver hole.

alantani

The two small holes are for the handle nut cap.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mrc70

Ok, that was easy. I filed down the holes on the new handles a tiny bit and they fit perfect. Thanks, everyone for your help!

akfish

It goes without saying that the handle must be greased before attaching it to the gear sleeve. Once filed down, the anodizing is gone. That's not a problem **if** it is heavily greased.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Mrc70

Heavily greased would be an understatement  :D