Penn Squidder Handle ID Help

Started by BrettS, August 04, 2019, 05:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrettS

Hey all, I bought a penn Squidder recently that has an interesting handle, anyone know anything about it? I haven't been able to uncover any info. It's plastic with an oversized wood knob, the reel is a 140 converted to a 146 with a p16 tib frame and I think a Newell spool. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Catch a big one.

Smols

The arm is a Newell and the handle knob could be a Penn or maybe home made.

BrettS

Thanks, idk how I didn't figure that out. New to the world of modding reels and I guess it never occurred to me that a stock Newell arm would cross over.
Catch a big one.

RowdyW

Decker

Hey!  I bought one of those too, from the same seller.   I thought the handle arm was Newell and somehow modified for the Penn gear sleeve.   Nail-polish on the edge of the spool, right?  

I asked the seller about the customization of the reel, and was told that the reels belonged to the father, and that he turned the knobs.   I really like the original look of it.  Looks like it could muscle some big fish from the bottom.  I had hoped to find a stainless gear sleeve in it, but no.  Adding one of those and maybe double-dogging would make this a very bad boy.  

BrettS

Hah! I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the other one ended up in the hands of someone here! I'll be honest with you I wanted both! Glad it went to someone who will appreciate it, use it and take care of it! Mine doesn't have nail polish on the edge of the spool, what would that do? Close the gap between spool and frame to prevent eating thinner line? I think the one you got had braid, mine had 30# mono on it.

Those mods would definitely make a tough reel. I bought it more for the casting rather than heavy cranking, its sitting on a 12' MH surf rod patiently waiting for the big redfish to show up in numbers here in GA.

I like the knob too and I think I'll leave it on there as a little homage to a fella that cared enough to make his gear his own.

There are some spacer washers and a cupped washer on either side of the drag and crank arm, does yours have these? and in what order? I carelessly didn't note the order when I took it apart and it took me a couple attempts to get it back together so it was functioning but the travel on the drag star seems very limited. It moves enough to go from very little drag to clamped down real tight but since we have a reel in common I figure its worth asking so my inexperience doesn't cost damage to a nice little reel.
Catch a big one.

Decker

Yes, mine has braid, and red nail polish the color of the frame to close the spool gap, as you said.  

I'll try to post some pics later to help answer your question.

There's another available, and if I know you're bidding I won't drive up the price ;)

What rod is your heaver?   I'm always on the lookout for good ones.  I have a Penn Pro Guide 12', a Daiwa Sealine X 11' and a BreakAway 11'10' that I haven't thrown yet.  

BrettS

I saw the other one, and I definitely want a Squidder in the 140 size because I can't decide if the 146 is a touch on the small side or not. I suppose I'll just have to get a 140 and a 145 too to settle that one. He started the new listing a little higher, I don't think I'll bite. Two reels in the past two weeks is enough for a minute.

I only have two heavy surf rods, an offshore angler ocean master 10' heavy, which I really like. I wish I had bought the 12 but being I'm not a fanatical caster I feel like the 10' rod makes me focus on good form and mechanics to fully load the shorter rod.

The other is an offshore angler breakwater that got christened today with a couple 3-4' Sharks. I'm happy with it, it casts 6oz and a whiting strip like a dream. I didn't put everything I have into it today because I'm also learning to cast the Squidder, but it feels like there is a lot left in the rod when I'm throwing it 60-70%
Catch a big one.

Decker

Brett, here's a pic of the handle/shaft assembly.  Does that help?   There is also a washer under the star that looks similar to the thin metal one under the handle blade.

The 145's are a bit harder to find, but I like that size best for distance casting.

Maxed Out

Well it sure looks like that squidder has an aftermarket gear sleeve. Can you show a better pic of that top portion where the handle mounts ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

BrettS

That helps, thanks! It seems that I have an extra component. I have the two flat washers, which ended up in the same location as you show, plus a cupped washer, maybe it was put in there to provide a little extra drag tension? I don't know why someone would need more that what you can get out of the standard washer upgrades? The reel had 30# Ande pink on it I'll try to get a picture of it and the order I have it assembled this evening. I'll also snap one of the gear sleeve, Maxed I'd like to know what you see that makes you think its not stock.
Catch a big one.

BrettS

Here is the order of installation that provided the best function. I'm going to omit the cupped washer between the outter flat washer and the star and see how that works. It should give more travel on the star to the outside but it is already backing off to almost no drag.

Also a couple close ups of the gear sleeve
Catch a big one.

Bryan Young

Looks like he modified a Newell gear sleeve for the squidder.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BrettS

Is there a materiel or quality difference between a Newell gear sleeve and a stock penn? Or did the original owner switch them out to fit a crank arm he preferred? I can say with certainty the gear sleeve has been removed a time or two because there is a little deformation around the pin where it was tapped in or out without a punch.
Catch a big one.

Decker

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 07, 2019, 04:12:27 AM

Well it sure looks like that squidder has an aftermarket gear sleeve. Can you show a better pic of that top portion where the handle mounts ??

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 08, 2019, 05:34:26 AM
Looks like he modified a Newell gear sleeve for the squidder.

Quote from: BrettS on August 08, 2019, 11:29:39 AM
Is there a materiel or quality difference between a Newell gear sleeve and a stock penn? Or did the original owner switch them out to fit a crank arm he preferred? I can say with certainty the gear sleeve has been removed a time or two because there is a little deformation around the pin where it was tapped in or out without a punch.

The plot thickens...   I thought that sleeve was different.  A Newell sleeve in a Squidder?   Very curious.