Penn Squidder Handle ID Help

Started by BrettS, August 04, 2019, 05:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

It's the only way to fit that handle blade to the Squidder...nice work. That sleeve is less likely to round on the end like a Penn sleeve.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on August 08, 2019, 01:37:14 PM
   It's the only way to fit that handle blade to the Squidder...nice work. That sleeve is less likely to round on the end like a Penn sleeve.

Mo, how is it less likely to round?   Different metal than the Penn?  Different profile?

mo65

Quote from: Decker on August 08, 2019, 02:08:25 PM
Mo, how is it less likely to round?   Different metal than the Penn?  Different profile?

Yes Joe, the profile. It's a longer rectangular shape...not nearly as easy to "roll" as the half rounded Penn profile. 

Decker

Cool! 

Anyone know if there are mods needed to install a Newell sleeve in the Squidder?  I don't think I've ever seen a post on this site that used that combination.  Maybe Bryan knows?

BrettS

Yeah this has certainly taken a turn towards more interesting. I thought this thread would die with the answer to what crank is this. Other than less chance of rounding is there any other benefit to the Newell sleeve? I would be very surprised if no one here has done a mod like this before, but maybe not? And like Joe said Cool!!
Catch a big one.

Swami805

Snap some pictures when you open it up. Is it possible it has newell gears too? I didn't think they'd fit.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

BrettS

Here is the main gear, sleeve and drag stack. Should the dog be brass or steel? The one in this reel is without a doubt steel as it stuck to a magnetic screw driver tip.
Catch a big one.

Decker

Thanks, Brett.

To me, these reels look like a great buy.  Apparently that Newell gear sleeve is doing the same job that a stainless gear sleeve would do - preventing the handle from rounding the end of the sleeve.  This is what I gather from the members that have commented.  The guy who built these reels knew what he was doing.  Would be interesting to learn more about him.

mo65

Quote from: Decker on August 16, 2019, 06:20:10 PM
  The guy who built these reels knew what he was doing.  Would be interesting to learn more about him.

I agree Joe. Every once in a while someone posts one of these early hotrods and you see some really cool work. I've never seen a stock Squidder with a steel AR dog, so that has to be an add on too. 8)

ez2cdave

Swami805

That all looks like Penn parts to me, if it's a newell gear sleeve they're must be a hole drilled in it to hold it on the shaft.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

BrettS

Swami, I think what is leading us to believe that the gear sleeve is Newell is the compatibility with the graphite Newell handle and the shape of the portion of the sleeve that fits the handle. Others have commented that the flats in the threads are much larger than a stock penn. The sleeve does have a pin holding it on the shaft, I don't see any errant tool/file/drill marks that would indicate it has been modded, but it could just be quality work that was cleaned up nice.

Dave, you showed more restraint than I did. I bought the red framed 140 that expired a few hours before that green one. Got it for the starting price which is all I would allow myself to bid.

Joe, since I bought another from the same seller I'm going to probe him a little about who his dad was/is and what he built these reels for. The address he is shipping from is on the south shore of Long Island so I suppose stripers or blues would make sense but there is a ton of opportunity up there so no telling!

Catch a big one.

ez2cdave

Quote from: BrettS on August 17, 2019, 02:44:32 PMDave, you showed more restraint than I did. I bought the red framed 140 that expired a few hours before that green one. Got it for the starting price which is all I would allow myself to bid.

I had "bigger fish to fry", 10 days earlier . . . LOL !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCURATE-PENN-140-SQUIDDER-WITH-BRAID-LINE/273903604051?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here she is, safe and sound, at home !

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29216.0

Tight Lines !

BrettS

Oooh, yeah you did. I didn't realize that was yours. I commented on that thread, sexy reel man. Whatcha gonna use it for?
Catch a big one.

ez2cdave

Quote from: BrettS on August 17, 2019, 08:50:16 PM
Oooh, yeah you did. I didn't realize that was yours. I commented on that thread, sexy reel man. Whatcha gonna use it for?

It will be used on a live bait rod for pier and jetty fishing, spooled up with 25 lb Trilene Big Game mono now.

Tight Lines !