alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Slosh handles and drag star?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 15, 2019, 01:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slosh handles and drag star?  (Read 692 times)
kahawai

« on: August 05, 2019, 06:28:22 AM »

Hi, Iím new to the board. First post here.
I have a slosh that Iíd like to fit an offset/swept handle on.  However the drag star is so large that I canít find a handle that wonít knock into it. Question-
- does anyone know of a smaller star that would fit the slosh?
Thanks!
kahawai

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »

Anyone?
nelz

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »

Welcome Kahawai.

If the star is aluminum, it's pretty easy to just bend the arms slightly, so they don't hit the handle. Just do it nice and easy and try to get it right the first time without bending it backwards again, or you run the risk of breaking it eventually. I've done it on a couple of reels, it works.
Hamachi

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »

These stars are graphite so I guess you could cut them. Or get a longer handle arm. Newer arms and saltist arms would fit.

* 667BB413-53F9-4446-980A-261A9E36E074.jpeg (2331.13 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:03:44 PM by Hamachi » Logged

The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!
kahawai

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »

Welcome Kahawai.

If the star is aluminum, it's pretty easy to just bend the arms slightly, so they don't hit the handle. Just do it nice and easy and try to get it right the first time without bending it backwards again, or you run the risk of breaking it eventually. I've done it on a couple of reels, it works.

Bend them! Mine is aluminium so Iíll try bending it.
Thanks!
Hamachi

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »

My bad. Most of the ones I see are plastic molded to metal threads. Glad you got it sorted. Is it an older 20  or is it the newer ones that are alloy?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:46:23 PM by Hamachi » Logged

kahawai

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »

I think itís some metal. Itís an old slosh.
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »

If I remember right the older SLSH's had a metal star. Here is a pic of my SL20SH that I did the frame and a handle upgrade to. This reel came with the metal star.

I don't have a pic of the reel by it's self. Avet SX on top and modded SL20SH on bottom.

* IMG_0676 (3).JPG (600.79 KB, 1984x1488 - viewed 32 times.)
Hamachi

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »

No biggie, just clip them off with a pair of dykes and file them smooth.

SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »

Really? Kinda sounds cheese to me. Other handle arms fit without screwing up the star. I think the Shimano Torium's are a direct swap and even the BG series from Diawa may be a strait swap also. There was a thread change from the SLSH's and the BG's so if your going to try this call Diawa first to see if they will fit.
kahawai

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:42:36 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions . I looked at it and donít think Ill be able to bend or clip it  nicely without doing some sort of damage. I will try to look for someone who has the other reels mentioned to try out their drag stars.
Hamachi

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »

Really? Kinda sounds cheese to me. Other handle arms fit without screwing up the star. I think the Shimano Torium's are a direct swap and even the BG series from Diawa may be a strait swap also. There was a thread change from the SLSH's and the BG's so if your going to try this call Diawa first to see if they will fit.
Yeah, but if you read opís question, he has a handle and was looking for a smaller star solution. I know, I thought it was a crazy request also but thatís what he asked. He didnít want a different handle.

SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »

Yeah, but if you read opís question, he has a handle and was looking for a smaller star solution. I know, I thought it was a crazy request also but thatís what he asked. He didnít want a different handle.

I don't remember the price but somewhere in like the $12-$15 range you get a off set handle with knob that fits the star. I understand cutting the star was not your first choice, but I still think that is the last solution.
SoCalAngler
SoCalAngler
Photo Group

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »

These stars are graphite so I guess you could cut them. Or get a longer handle arm. Newer arms and saltist arms would fit.

You could make the handle nut cover fit on that arm with a very simple mod to the plastic cover. The same I did to the Tib arm in my pic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: