Bail Closing During A Cast

Started by mo65, August 06, 2019, 04:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I found a heavier brass stock and refined the shape a bit, and I believe I have a decent copy of the missing part. Backyard testing proved the part very effective, not a single tripped bail during casting.

I'm pretty sure this is most of the source of my bail tripping problem. I decided to add a custom handle knob, and as you can see, it is larger than the original. Heavier too...hence the added momentum to trip the bail during a cast. This is a prime example of what always happens when customizing. You change one thing...it effects three others. Even "easy bolt on" parts require some thought.

Being nervous about trashing one of these "unobtanium" parts, I drilled the knob post hole in steps so as not to stress the handle arm.

Here is the new post mounted to the arm. I like to take the tiny bearings out and give them a good squirt of oil before assembling these aftermarket knobs.

During all this bail testing I couldn't help but notice the gritty feel of the bail. These before and after pics don't really show it, but there was a lot of sand in the parts.

I wiped my hands with the rag I used to clean the bail parts...no trouble seeing the sand on my fingers! I had to go back and clean everything one more time with clean rags. Sand can be hard to get rid of.

These stock drags are in great shape, but I'm changing to greased carbon fiber for top performance. Penn's #6-60 fits great, only needing a tad removed from the inside diameter.

It's been said over and over, the quality of the parts on these Classics is first rate.

Covering those parts in blue grease seems wrong. I think this is why Superlube made clear grease! :D

Spooled with 20lb. pink Ande and mounted to a Rippin' Lips Supercat rod, this reel is going to be fun. Thanks to Fred for sending me the new badge for the side plate.  8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

YES Mo!!!  ;D

I love my 935 and hope to get more of those SB Classics someday!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

Way to go, Mo !!  Looks great !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Thanks guys. These South Bends are tough as nails...definitely flying under the radar. 8) 

Silvers

Good job and definitly a nice reel. 8)

Some parts of them (drag knob, handle, Bail and few more) looking similar to Shakespeare parts from the Ball Bearing Series and other.
I would not be surprised if they coming also from Ohmori or both bought them from a different japanese manufacturer to build the reels.

mo65

Wow...this reel's maiden voyage was a hoot. I'm kind of new at using spinners for catfishing, so I had my doubts about landing a larger cat on this size set up. It had 20 lb. pink Ande on it, and the drag set to work with the 5-6 lb. channels I was expecting. When the 15 lb. blue cat pictured below hit, the rod just bent down and stayed, he was on and hooked. I was using a skip jack head on a 6/0 Gama circle. The drag slipped on a few runs, and it was smooth as silk. I'm very impressed with the performance of this combo. I might spool up some braid on the spare spool I have...maybe something for a bit heavier work.  8)

xjchad

Nice cat Mo, awesome catch!!

I'm confident these reels can handle a lot, especially with the drag upgrades we've done.  I loaded mine with 30 lb braid and love it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

Great work Moe.  Did you know that sand has wet glue in it?  I don't need convincing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Fabulous mo,,,,, :D keep getting them,,,,,, ;D