Penn 9/0 new build/ suggestions

Started by Mattnok, August 12, 2019, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattnok

So I have been a long time guest lurker and have always been interested in doing a build and making a nice beast of a senator to use for some land based shark fishing. I just ordered a Cortez 9/0 frame and plan on building this real up to use as my shallow drop 3-400 yds I know a stock 9/0 would handle the job well but why not go over the top and make something that I can really enjoy playing with and building. So besides the frame what else should be my first concern with upgrading I am still shopping around for the right 9/0 to buy for this build or may even just buy a brand new reel to not worry about some horrible abuse on a used one.

thorhammer

Welcome, you are in the right place! Since you have the frame dealt with to withstand higher torque, now generate that torque: Replace or service the drags with carbontex washers and SS metals, SS gear sleeve with SS AR dog,and a power handle of your liking. That will handle a big fish. Cortez Conversions also makes very fine aluminum sideplates. You can get SS gears if you choose but the brass stock ones (and maybe has a stock carbon steel, depending on age) are massive as-is.

Shark Hunter

Just so you know. A new 9/0 will be made in China, unless you can find a vintage one still new.
Not knocking China made Penn's, but I do believe an older ball bearing model will have better quality internals, gears, ect. JMO
Life is Good!

Mattnok

Thanks for the replies I will look into trying to find an older ball bearing model to work with