Penguin Blue

Started by Tightlines667, August 15, 2019, 04:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

The last trip out we caught a Blue Marlin and an Ono, so it was only fitting we start a repeat streak this past Saturday.

A new onflux of cooler water into the channel brought a wide open Mahi bite on Wednesday, and it sounded like the west side died down with the warm water lense, so we made a plan to hit Penguin Saturday.

We loaded the boat up with the owners family and friends, visiting from the mainland, and cast off at 0630hrs. We high speed trolled accross the channel, and set a 7 bait wire-pin rig ballyhoo spread.

Worked the north end, and caught a nice 35lb Ono on the planer. Got short bit by a Mahi on the long center, and had small Aku chop off our ywo planer baits as we left the ledge around mid day.

Pulled the planer and dropped a 'Black Bart - Puerto Rican Prowler' back short. Started winding up the planer line and noticed line peeling steadily off the reel within seconds of setting it. We cleared the remaining lines, got an angler on the TI80W, and began backing down. The fish behaved herself with a somewhat unimpressive 300 yard run down deep. We would get her within 100yards, and she would swim back down to 1000'. After 45minutes of this she came to the surface, and put on a show with 10-15 jumps in a circle ending in a run straight at the boat within 150' or so. Got the loop out of the line and down she went again.
After 70minutes brought her to gaff in a nearly dead state.

We ran back to the marina for photos and butchered the fish which we estimated at around 550lbs based on measurements.

Next night we had a marlin taco party for 30 or so friends and managed to eat 15lbs of fish. 130lbs of fish are being used for fish tacos and sandwhiches at some local restaurants this week, and 40lbs are getting smoked and by a friend today.

Not the Wahoo bite we had in mind, but still a great way to spend the weekend.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

Now that's a real nice Marlin.           Rudy

Benni3

That's a big marlin,,,,,,and oh man best eaten,,,,,, ;D

Tightlines667

Picked up a smoker today
Hope springs eternal

mo65

Man oh man...the fish you catch John...just awesome! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Well done John, nice fish, nice photos, thanks, hope you get to use that smoker often, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rivverrat

I know I'm in Kansas & all...... & monster fish to me are just about anything over 50 lbs.  But this fish here I'm thinking would be an incredibly fantastic, monster catch about any where on our planet... Jeff

Bill B

Great job and good eats....well done guys...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

Wow, is all  can say.

I deleted the rest.

Nice catch

Gfish

One of my top 5 breakfasts: smoked marlin and cream cheese on top of a spicy whole grain beagle. Very nice John, sounds like you're a human "fish finder". 0 for 3 for me today, big'uns too(anything over 10lbs=big for me). Species unknown...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Smoked 40lbs of marlin, ended up with 25lbs smoked fish.  Some will get made into smoked dip with creamcheese, mayonese, cilintro, capers, lime, wenchester sauce, garlic, onion.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Smoked a bunch of meat today...

Elk
Axis Deer
Snow Goose
Pheasant
Wild Turkey
Yellowfin Tuna
Skipjack Tuna
Blue Marlin
Striped Marlin

The Elk and Skipjack were marinated in Terri/Soy/brown sugar/Pinnaple/Sake/ginger/garlic/chili peper water
and made into jerky

The rest went in my apple cider brine.

Yellowfin and Marlin was used to make smoked fish dip with cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, onion, cilantro, capers, lime, poke seasoning.

It all turned out great.

Now I have room in the freezer for the upcomming bird hunting trip.

John

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal