Avet MXL Raptor 6/4 MC Assembly Questions

Started by Spicy Tuna, August 15, 2019, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spicy Tuna

Hi all. I have two of these bad boys. One was having trouble freespooling after maybe a season of use. I decided to open it up and it was one of the worst looking reels I have ever seen inside. Not sure if this might have been a return, but it was bad. (Both direct shipped from AVET brand new) So I cleaned away. Referencing the schematics I noticed some inconsistencies between the schematic and what was on my reel. On the spool shaft I noticed that there were two "Thrust Bushings" on the end of the spool shaft next to the bellevill washers. Both were different sizes. I didn't see this mentioned in the parts diagram. I decided to open up my other identical Raptor and it also had both of these bushings. Not sure if anyone has ran into this. Also I didn't see any mention to the bellevill orientation, so I kept them exactly how they were positioned. (((()) I believe this was the orientation. I can't remember exactly but I know it favored the right side. Also I noticed on one of my reels there was 1 thrust washer in between the small spool bearing and the inner brake disk bearing and two in my other reel. Schematic shows only 1. Anyone have any experience in these particular reels that can verify 1, are both of these Thrust bushings necessary, and 2, is there suppose to be 1 or 2 thrust washers in between the spool bushing and inner brake disk bearing? Thanks in advance.

AJ

Avet schematics are not kept up to date.  Are you using the one that came with the reels or from the website.  You might try and compare and see if there are any differences.  As Alan says lots of photos!  I think the extra washer is Avet's way of adjusting tolerances but I cannot be certain, an extra washer or two is fairly common.

SoCalAngler

I have looked for the Raptor schematics and have not found much. As far a I can tell the MXL 6/4 is the same reel right? If so it looks like you have too many belleville washers in there. There is a 6/3 which was the older style and a 6/4 which I assume is the Raptor.

The config from left to right looks like this to me.

This is what Avet calls the parts

Spool shaft part #4, shaft sholder #4A, a pin goes in these #4B shaft pin.
After those there is a normally a shim or two. Avet does not show these in their schematics, but they are flat very thin washers/shims. These can very per reel do to machining. These are just spacers to get the alignment between the spool and the frame correct. It is weird finding them in the reel without being mentioned but 1 or 2 are there in every reel I have seen.

Next are the belleville washers and they should go like this if I'm looking at the right schematic. ()(). This keeps the spool length correct for maximum free spool.

You said the first washers where (( and these should be shims and they should be in a, ll, config. Next are the bellevilles part #5 and they should go ()(). Next is part #6 what Avet calls a pusher bushing. Then one of the spool bearings part #7 and the spool tube part #8.

Check the config as it seems off to me. Even if the first two shims are, ll, the bellevilles still seem out of whack.

SoCalAngler

Sorry it was the wrong schematic. Disregard the above.

I found the correct one here but it still does not show the shims.
http://www.pursuetheoutdoors.com/fishing/reel-schematics/Avet/MX.RAPTOR.PDF