Top Gun 80 2.5 day report....tunas!!!!

Started by pjstevko, August 15, 2019, 06:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogan

PJ,

Way to go!!! It was an awesome trip. Those are some great fish photos. (I knew I should have gone with you)

So I know you bought some new gear, what worked and what did you like using...?

Rich

Fishy247

Looks like a fun trip! Those WFO YFT bites are a blast. Blood, scales, fish flying everywhere....did you get to break in your new reel?

Hardy Boy

Thats a pile of tuna !! Nice job !!

cheers:

Todd
Todd

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Great report PJ!  Congratulations on your perfect timing!

Donnyboat

Nice pics & report PJ, thanks for taking us along, were you only using the shimano reel, or ?. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

pjstevko

I got a chance to break in a bunch of new gear on trip....2 Okuma PCH rods (801H and 801XH) and my new Shimano Speedmaster 12II.

The Speedmaster was mounted on the 801XH and it was a pleasure to use. It was light enough to use all day without fatigue and it casted sardines well....or at least as well as my skill level allowed  ;D

On the 801H was my P21XN Jiggy and that was a blast to use on the small (10-15#) fish I landed.

Both rigs held up well but they were never really put to the test so I guess I'll have to go again and put both set-ups through the ringer  ;D ;D

SoCalAngler

Glad you got into them. The way the boat went the first day I thought it would be either a big pay out or kind of what you guys got on day one. Very good call to go to the schooly tuna, and a look at the outside banks is exactly the info I wanted. No need for me to hard charge it out there any time soon...well not to next week   lol

I'm sorry in my first report where I said the Captain was a bit salty. There is another boat with the 80 in it's name, where lets just say the captain speaks his mind to the paying customers on his boat. If captain Taft was on the boat or he put others in charge I bet that never happened. Again my bad, creating confusing to two different boats.

steelfish

Quote from: pjstevko on August 16, 2019, 08:13:44 PM
I got a chance to break in a bunch of new gear on trip....2 Okuma PCH rods (801H and 801XH) and my new Shimano Speedmaster 12II.

buddy, do you know the improvements of the new Speedmaster Vs the Talica ?

the speedmaster looks identical to a talica (sideplates and frame) wondering if its just almost the same reel with a nostalgic name to get more sales
The Baja Guy

pjstevko

Quote from: steelfish on August 20, 2019, 10:47:06 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on August 16, 2019, 08:13:44 PM

buddy, do you know the improvements of the new Speedmaster Vs the Talica ?

the speedmaster looks identical to a talica (sideplates and frame) wondering if its just almost the same reel with a nostalgic name to get more sales

I can't say for sure but i know there are a couple "Speedmaster vs Talica" threads on a few other forums....

dangalang

Wow, what a great trip, congrats!! Thanks for the report and pics!!

Benni3

Wow!!!!!! Great job man,,,,,, :D that's alot of nice fish,,,,, ;D

Crab Pot

I just got a trip on the Pacific Voyager last night.

The TG 80 shadowed us, and us them, for the whole 4 days I was out.

We actually had to do a bait transfer from the TG 80 to the PV to keep us fishing.

Looks like a great boat, I plan on giving them a try.

We're you on a charter or open boat?

If open did you feel it was overloaded or about right?

Nice report and fish!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

pjstevko

Quote from: Crab Pot on August 28, 2019, 10:41:28 PM
I just got a trip on the Pacific Voyager last night.

The TG 80 shadowed us, and us them, for the whole 4 days I was out.

We actually had to do a bait transfer from the TG 80 to the PV to keep us fishing.

Looks like a great boat, I plan on giving them a try.

We're you on a charter or open boat?

If open did you feel it was overloaded or about right?

Nice report and fish!

I was on an open boat and it felt like everyone had plenty of room to fish.....except at the rear right corner when the fish are boiling  ;D

I really enjoyed the boat although I must say I only have one other boat to compare it to...... The Captain and crew were great, the food was good and plentiful and the bunks were comfy! Can't ask for anything more