Spectra for a Jigmaster

Started by joel8080, August 19, 2019, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

Any one know how many yards of 30 Spectra you can get on a Jigmaster 500.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Wouldn't surprise me if holds a 1000yds. 30lb is generally about equal to 8 lb mono, and a jiggy, depending on spool, holds 400-450 yds 20lb mono. Pay attention to gap between frame and spool if this is a stock jiggy- may eat skinny braid.

John

steelfish

jigmaster have almost the same line capacity of my Mak15 and I have an average 400yds 100# braid on mine.

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

30# spectra is a pain on a reel that size. I recomend running 60# and a 30# top shot of whatever you want. Your still talking 5-600 yards.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

joel8080

Here's the story on my Jigmaster, It has every option available on it from Accurate frame/side plates to any thing you can do to a jigmaster it has it including 2 aluminum spools one Penn and one Newell. 4:1 gears Double dog etc etc etc,  it is now loaded with 65 spectra on one spool and the other is empty with all the talk of fish being line shy on the long distance boats I am/was thinking of putting 30 spectra on it.
Thank you for the reply's

joel8080

Oceanside,California

Ron Jones

If that is your concern I would load the other spool with 65# spectra and then put a top shot of 30# floro on one and 40# floro on the other. Use a rod that can handle both and you are in the game for the majority of long range stuff (depending on how long.) I would NOT recomend that being your only reel on a multi day trip.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

joel8080

Oceanside,California

thorhammer

Joel, show us a pic of this thing!

John

joel8080

John   

Here are some photos of my Jigmaster.

Joel
Oceanside,California

thorhammer

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

MarkT

I try to never use spectra under 50# since tying knots with the 30# and under is challenging.  I use 50# to back my 30# top shot rigs and at least one has 65# backing.  The heavier stuff casts better too... it doesn't dig into itself on the spool as much.  I tend to use 65# spectra for my 40/50# reels.  Use white spectra (or other high-vis color) on your bait reels... you can see it, the other anglers can see it and the deck hands can see it.  Don't be 'that' guy who gets in a tangle and have the deck hand asking ok, who's using the green spectra?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

vilters

joel8080

Thanks Mark

I am going to put 60 on the reel.

joel8080
Oceanside,California