Recommend a vintage Penn reel for speckled trout/pompano?

Started by Beachmaster, August 21, 2019, 12:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I have the vintage Penn bug BAD!  I have purchased three off ebay completely took apart, cleaned, and ready to fish.  Peer 209, Beachmaster 155, and a Jigmaster.  Now I am needing a reel that is small enough for speckled trout/pompano size fish.  What say you?

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

thorhammer

spinning or casting, as how will you fish for spec / pomp's? Any of the smaller Penn Spinfishers will do fine- Z series 710,712,722 etc. or 43- to 45- series in any SS generation. The Levelmatics would be great here too, if seeking a baitcaster- 920,930,940. Penn 9 will do but Mag 10 also if surfcasting.

John

thorhammer

He beat me to the draw while I was typing a long message- but same recco on 9 and 10.

Beachmaster

Ok, I will check out a Penn Peer 9.  I don't like spinning reels.  Thanks!

Ron Jones

If you have the budget, a xtra narrow squidder is the bee's knees.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

The trouble with a Penn addiction is they do not have much to offer in the smaller sizes.  The situation worsened when spectra braid became available.  I would want something smaller than the smallest Levelmatic for trout and pompano.  For pompano, you need a delicate presentation and a light jig or mole crab that the 9, 10 or Levelmatic just cannot cast.  A 716 would work, but spinners are out.  Frankly, I think you would be happier with a modern low-profile baitcasting reel.  There are a million to choose from, but none of them are Penn.
-steve

Ron Jones

I agree with Steve, and that is why I recommended the extra narrow Squidder. That spool is stupod light and doesn't take much to start spinning at all. I've never seen either of the fish in question, but as I understand it you are basically large mouth bass fishing.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Steve, I agree on a pristine flat, a mole crab on fluoro is the way to go...however, our man didn't say where he is fishing, or when- the Carolina inlet where the previous WR came from is often dingy, and the New River that feeds it routinely produces gator trout over 10lbs. Standard pompano rig here is two hook rig with 1-2 oz weight, and as Ron stated, seatrout fishing is basically largemouth fishing with better hooks- jigs, popping corks and Spooks. The 920 is great for both, PLUS has a clicker if one is spike fishing- the only small reel I know of with a clicker. Also, you might be as likely to get a black drum or sheepshead on a fiddler- we have them over a hundred pounds here and I'd want more than a lil plastic bass reel.  All depends on application....

After seeing you consistently and expertly casting itty-bitty jigs with thumb-burners, you have piqued my curiosity about the lightest practical limit for 920- test to follow :)

oc1

Quote from: thorhammer on August 21, 2019, 04:27:00 PM
I'd want more than a lil plastic bass reel.  the lightest practical limit for 920- test to follow

For specks and reds I would want to freeline a live shrimp or small live mullet.  Freelining a shrimp small enough for a pompano is more difficult and may require a split shot. 

That synchronized levelwind on a 920 will make life difficult John.  It's a lot of stuff to get moving with a light lure.  It's the same for the old ABU round reels of that size.

A lil plastic bass reel will hold all the braid you need; no more and no less.  Excess line capacity adds weight to the spool and spool weight decreases start-up speed and low start-up speed reduces distance.

-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on August 21, 2019, 08:49:59 AM
The trouble with a Penn addiction is they do not have much to offer in the smaller sizes.
yep, sometimes you should open the eyes to another brand, Penn never specialized on UL or even Light lures

Quote from: oc1 on August 21, 2019, 08:49:59 AM
Frankly, I think you would be happier with a modern low-profile baitcasting reel.  There are a million to choose from, but none of them are Penn.
-steve

there is one Vintage low profile reel made by penn and its even 2-speed, problem is that its really hard to find and not many were made, it lasted 2 years and later got discountinued.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27881.0

The Baja Guy

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

I just got 1,,,,,, ;) $5.99+shipping they do pop up sometimes,,,,, :D Atari looks,,,but I was really surprised with the performance and the 88parts and screws,,,,,,, ;D

mo65

Out of curiosity I just tested my Levelmatic 930 casting with some light weights. Keep in mind my 930 has 20lb. mono on it...a lighter line would help a lot. My first cast was a 1/4 oz. weight. It landed about seven feet in front of me. After picking out the huge backlash, and asking myself "why do I get into these discussions?", I tied on a 1/2 oz. weight. It went out about 25 yds. with no trace of a bird's nest. My question is...what is your target weight and expected distance? My 930 says anything over 1/2 oz. will cast fine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: Benni3 on August 21, 2019, 07:24:03 PM
I just got 1,,,,,, ;) $5.99+shipping they do pop up sometimes,,,,, :D Atari looks,,,but I was really surprised with the performance and the 88parts and screws,,,,,,, ;D

$5.00 ?   man !! tell me the truth, you stole it

Atari looks LOL, you're dang right buddy
The Baja Guy