Poor neglected boxes

Started by milne, August 21, 2019, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

You're getting pretty good at this, Col !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

milne

Hi Crow,  There sort of looking at least presentable !.
             I just can't seem to help myself, I see a 40's box and something in the back of my head is saying "save it, save it".
  I wish the voice would go.  I just hate the thought that they will just go in the bin, at least if the box is toast, the label can be saved.

Unfortunately, the reel tail plate has a nice wee crack right thru it, I don't think the seller had tried to hide it, once the outer ring was removed, you
could see it was out of shape, then on close inspection, the crack revealed itself after a good cleaning.It's still holding together, so I will re assemble it once fully cleaned and serviced, then maybe look for another 200 side plate at a later date.....
This reel and box, just didn't want to be scrapped !

Col

Crow

Ted (maxed out) just gifted me with some old surfmaster parts....and there are two tail plates in the bunch. I'm not "wise" enough to be able to tell the "age" ....they are 'picture" plates...that's all I know, but, when I get more time (hopefully, this weekend ::)), I'll post a pic, ot two, and do some reading in my new "Blue Bible"....if one of them will work for you, and you want it...it's yours !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Thought I'd just better take the time, and do it now...before I forget (that happens a LOT, as I get more "mature" ;))     haven't found anything definitive, yet, as to "age", but I'm guessing the un mounted plate...with no internal bracing, is the "oldest" ???    The one that is on the frame has
"speckles" of paint on it, but I'm sure it will polish up, fine, and , as you can see, it has "bracing" on the inside. Anyway...if one of these "fills the bill", let me know...it's yours for the asking !

milne

Hi Crow,
             That is them !!
  Listen, it's a fantastic offer and I want to thank you very much for that, but, unfortunately the freight way down under would absolutely kill it.
  The disadvantage of living so far away.
What I'll do is I'll look for a donor reel here, they pop up every now and then. Plus we are taking a wee break this month and plan to hunt round in those obscure second hand country shops, looking for any old Penn's or the likes,  you never know !!.
But really appreciate the offer.
That was my first cracked side plate I've encountered, was really dissapointing when I noticed it.

Thanks again

Col

Cuttyhunker

For box repair, revival, and resurrection techniques a perusal of the lure collector sites has some pretty impressive techniques. We, as reel guys, really like our boxes, the lure folks are obsessed.
Doomed from childhood

milne

Thanks Cutty,  I'm always up for learning new things, I'm sort of fluffing my way through repairing boxes, so any new methods or techniques are
                       always good to research......

Thanks

Col

Crow

A question on old boxes.....what is the 'best way' to CLEAN a box...or label ! Any suggestions on what kind of soap solution, method, whatever, will give me  heads up !  Thanks !

Deepennz

Hi Crow,
Good question!!
I have no idea - this thread by Col has got me thinking too, so last week I contacted a professional Document Restorer, who expressed interest in restoring some of my boxes and also teaching me some tricks.
When normal life resumes we have agreed that I will take some of my 'poor neglected boxes' to his studio, and I can 'watch and learn'.
I intend to take photos and I will post on here.

However, until that happens - I am sure someone will have some suggestions.

Cheers
Martin

David Hall

That sounds to me like a fantastic opportunity.  Looking forward to reading more and seeing what you learn.  I have some old books that Need attention.

milne

Martin, That's fantastic, it will be interesting to see what methods can be used.
          I guess it depends on what conditions every box has, as far as methods. I have a collection of 113 boxes from the 50's, it's amazing the different variations and prices, ie with the spool changes and anniversary year models, but more specifically the fading on the boxes is very obvious.
     I haven't had any more boxes to do full restores on as yet, but I have had to do a few "box strengthens" as such, If I hadn't, I think they wouldn't even cope with normal handling.  Using the acid free cardbord/paper from any craft supplier is a must and even there glues are great to use.
I like to try and still show the patina of any box I repair, especially the label,  It's unfortunate to have to tinker with these boxes, but otherwise i feel they wouldn't survive to much longer...
Be interested to see how you get on Martin....

Regards
Col

The Great Maudu

Very interesting and informative thread. Made me think about a reel box I once purchased on eBay. The seller kindly "broke it down" so it would fit into a mailing envelope.