Pj's Accurate/Penn 114H

Started by RowdyW, August 21, 2019, 10:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Pj & the rest of the gang that have been waiting for the findings & rehab of Pj's Accuframed & plated 114H. I received it this afternoon & it is completely torn down. No diamonds inside. It looks like a very old build with all stock Penn parts. The drags are a hard fiber that looks like the same material as the under gear washer but thicker. With the drags buttoned down the thick wavy washer under the star wheel bottomed out on the plate. The 5 stack was not high enough. Very little & very hard scraps of grease inside. No grease in screw holes in frame. My guess is someone took the fairly new guts from a 114H reel and assembled them in the Accurate frame & plates quite a while ago. The slight marks on the frame & plates is probably from handling. I don't think it was ever fished. Of course I recommend a 10 tooth ss gear sleeve, ss dog, complete new drags (3 choices there), possibly a steel main gear (the bronze gear will feel smoother). Now Pj, let's decide how far you want to go. I would suggest a 5 stack set of Penn drags as it can always be changed later & is the least cost & will give you at least 25#'s of drag. Can you hold more? ??? OK Pj, lets make out our shopping list.   :D :D

redsetta

QuoteNow Pj, let's decide how far you want to go.
Down the rabbit hole we go!  :D ;D
Great work Rudy - looking forward to seeing the next steps
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

pjstevko

Oh it's on!

Give me everything!

MarkT

So much for it being a $125 Accurized 114h!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

RowdyW

Quote from: pjstevko on August 22, 2019, 12:58:38 AM
Oh it's on!

Give me everything!
Oh Boy, this is going to be fun.  :D :D

bhale1

yep , There you go PJ...go big or go home...PJ ain't afraid of no "rabbit holes" ;D
Brett

pjstevko

RowdyW

O K, I just finished up Pj's 114H Accurate/S. Senator. All threaded holes retapped & lubed including base stand & clamp studs. Upgrade parts include ss 10 tooth gear sleeve & ss dog, New steel main gear, & Bry's 7+1 drag upgrade. I used a delrin washer under the main gear instead of the CF washer in Bry's kit. I replaced the spring disc on top of the drag stack & a new flat dog spring. (I like the sound of a new spring snapping the ss dog) Full service & coat all internal parts and surfaces with Penn Blue. Replaced the handle & arm with an Accurate item supplied by Pj. It's going back to Pj tomorrow. Now he has to figure out what he is going after to choose what to put on the spool & how heavy of a rod he needs. The Special Senator is now a Super Senator.  :) :)          Rudy

Crow

Sounds like a good one, Rudy !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on August 27, 2019, 06:58:35 PM
O K, I just finished up Pj's 114H Accurate/S. Senator. All threaded holes retapped & lubed including base stand & clamp studs. Upgrade parts include ss 10 tooth gear sleeve & ss dog, New steel main gear, & Bry's 7+1 drag upgrade. I used a delrin washer under the main gear instead of the CF washer in Bry's kit. I replaced the spring disc on top of the drag stack & a new flat dog spring. (I like the sound of a new spring snapping the ss dog) Full service & coat all internal parts and surfaces with Penn Blue. Replaced the handle & arm with an Accurate item supplied by Pj. It's going back to Pj tomorrow. Now he has to figure out what he is going after to choose what to put on the spool & how heavy of a rod he needs. The Special Senator is now a Super Senator.  :) :)          Rudy

WHAT . . . No pics ?

Tight Lines !

Maxed Out

Sounds like you put heart and soul into that reel Rudy.

Can't wait for Pj to post a few "after Rudy modifications" pics

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 27, 2019, 08:23:58 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on August 27, 2019, 06:58:35 PM

WHAT . . . No pics ?

Tight Lines !
I don't have a camera to post with and wouldn't know how anyway. To old to learn but I can still tear through a Senator though.  ;D ;D

pjstevko

Don't worry I'll post up pics once i get the reel back in my hands  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

redsetta

Great work Rudy.
Looking forward to seeing how it's put to use PJ - enjoy!
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer