Thanks to the Alan Tani community

Started by smnaguwa, August 22, 2019, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

I Alan Tani'zed my vintage Eagle Claw lever drag, levelwind reel to fish for salmon outside the Golden Gate as my son was visiting. My son used the reel which worked perfectly as seen in the photo - limits of salmon to 25#. Thanks for all the info.

xjchad

Congrats on a successful trip and good father/son time!
Nice fish!  8)

Can we see the reel too?  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Benni3

Excellent trip,,,,, :D that had to be a blast,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

"Family Fishing"...it don't get any better than that !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

very nice!  where is the fleet fishing?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

smnaguwa

Thanks for the nice comments. Sorry, but I won't be able to post a picture until my son returns with reel from another fishing trip to Monterey with a family friend. He is visiting from Hawaii and wants to do as much fishing as he can, to take salmon back to Hawaii. Alan, we fished the whole of the Marin coast from the Duxbury reef area and up towards Pt. Reyes. We picked up a few at each stop, no big concentration as in July, but fish were bigger. Lots of bait in the water; saw anchovies jumping to escape likely salmon.

alantani

yeah, that's what i've been hearing.  you really have to put your time in!  congratulations!!!!!!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

smnaguwa

Here's the old reel, my first lever drag.

alantani

smnaguwa

Eagle Claw! I think their one and only lever drag reel.

alantani

ah, yes.  you did mention that!  if you serviced the reel, i would be curious to know what you did with the drag system.  thanks!  alan

smnaguwa

Alan, I just took out the drag and put on Cal's drag grease as you advise, wiping off the excess. I set the strike setting at 5# using an electronic scale. That maybe high for salmon but needed to keep the 2 1/2# lead ball from causing line creep.

alantani

was it actually carbon fiber to begin with?  i'd be really surprised if it was!

smnaguwa

You are correct. The drag surface was not black but more of a light brown of some sort of fiber material. There was some loose fibers at the edge that I trimmed before greasing it. Sorry I didn't take pictures.