Halibut Fishing with Gary the BUTT man, Glacier Bay, Gustavus, AK Aug. 2019

Started by El Pescador, August 23, 2019, 11:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Well kids, sit back, this will be a longer than usual post - I have lots of photos!!!

Dominick and I planned a return trip to fish with Gary the BUTT man for Halibut and if we find them, Silver Salmon.

On our way, here is the trip from Seattle to Juneau, AK - Enjoy the views.

YES!  Those  icy rivers are glaciers.

Taking off from Juneau, AK heading the short flight to Gustavus, AK - There is the world famous Mendenhall Glacier.

Here is the final approach to landing in Gustavus.

Landed safely in Gustavus - Land of the Summer Sunshine!!

And here is the world famous Gustavus International Air Terminal.

This photo from Gary - greeting us.

We are here!!  and our home for the next 7 days.

And Gary & Mary Jo's home here in the Alaska Wilderness.

And to the rear of their property, back to Alaska Wilderness.

First morning, Gary walks over to ask, "What are we doing today???"

The weather for the next week is NOTHING less than spectular!!!  NOT a cloud in the sky for the entire week.

First order of business is to prepare the TANK for halibut fishing.   Need to remove the reel seat.  Gary ONLY uses the reel tightly screwed down  in the reel seat, and then wrapped with Electricians tape.  That's it, and have caught up to 360 lbs. Halibut using this system.

Here Gary is filling the now WORLD FAMOUS RED COOLER with needed baits for tomorrow.

Next morning we follow Gary out to the Glacier Bay Nation Park harbor in Bartlett Cove.

Now, check this out, the tallest mountain is Mt. Fairweather - 15,306 ft. tall, and 67 miles away.  We were able to view it ALL WEEK LONG!!!

As Gary heads out on the zodic to the USS Maiko, I have time to walk along the dock and see this!!!

The NAT GEO Venture - BRAND NEW ship taking 100 paid passengers out for 8 days - cost per person is $8,000 to $12,000 - and some people think fishing is expensive!!

Behind it was the USGS research vessel and what caught my eye were the boat rods under the wheelhouse roof.

Of course, Penn reels!!!

Gary back on and ready to go.

Dominick was first up to add fish to the deck.  For 80... the old guy still got it!!!

Next Gary was loaded up.

And the TANK was well used for the entire week.  We asked ourselves, who's using it next???  and WHERE in the WORLD will it be going???

Again, the mountains 65 miles away.  You will see them many more times.

Make all the jokes you want, but Gary has his own method of putting his bait ball together.

Yes SIR!!  The TANK.

I kept yelling, "HIGHER!!!"  and Dominick's yelling "TAKE THE PICTURE!!!!!!"'

I don't think it is 11:30 in the morning and the limit has been hit!!!

Now every day on the boat, Mary Jo made several dishes of this - Smoked Salmon Dip - all told I ate 2 quarts while there!!!!  Man, it is fantastic.

Fishing in 140' of water.  Mostly out of the wind and current.

No narrative needed, just enjoy the photos of SE Alaska.

This photo was for my two Sons!  They gave me this fishing hat for a distant Father's Day.  THANK YOU both Peter and John!!!  Your Loving Dad.

Heading on back, Dominick at the Helm.

Another fisherman heading to work.

For those of you who live or have lived in SE Alaska, check out the weather.  AK Fish, Lee, who else???

Can you see it, I have my inReach GPS on the front dash, between the mustard and the suntan lotion.  There if I need it.

Back at the Dock, ready to load the fish in the truck and head back for processing.

As a lark, Gary sent Dean - Long time Park Employee down to the boat to "bust my #@$" asking for my OUT OF STATE Alaska fishing license and he wanted to look at the fish.  Well in just a second I realized it was a hoax and Dean and I had a big laugh.

I wanted Jennifer to make me a sign - "NO BUCKET NO MOP!!!"  - remember the post of Gary wanting to use a power sprayer and not a bucket and mop.   We all had a great laugh.

You know, I see a theme where.

Gary uses a 12 item or less shopping basket for his carry on and off the boat,

and Fred uses multiples of fast food trays.   REELY GUYS????

First day was a great day.  Now it is time to get to work.

BUTT it is HOT!!!  Today, 80+ degrees in the shade.

BUTT for Dominick it was straight up HOT!!!!

That night Gary, not Mary Jo, made the Blackened Halibut Tips - FANTASTIC for sure.

You know what, chew on this for a while, I'll post more tomorrow,

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Great report with some great people, I just wish I was there with you guys.
Thanks for the pics Wayne and the narration, you are the best with this type of stuff.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Thanks for the fantastic photos of a excellent trip,,,,,,, :D you guys do it right,,,,,,,,,, ;D

foakes

Solid and enjoyable report, Wayne —

Almost like being there in person..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Great report!  As for what comes next... bring it on!  Type faster you slacker!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

54bullseye

Looks like trip of a lifetime !!  I am jealous as hell lol !!   Good for you guys.  John Taylor

Newell Nut

Great report and congrats on some nice catches. I sure miss Alaska fishing.

Dwight

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 24, 2019, 03:07:41 AM
Great report with some great people, I just wish I was there with you guys.
Thanks for the pics Wayne and the narration, you are the best with this type of stuff.

Sal

Sal!  You are a kind man to say so!   
Wayne

El Pescador

Quote from: MarkT on August 24, 2019, 04:40:55 AM
Great report!  As for what comes next... bring it on!  Type faster you slacker!

MarkT!

I'm Just one man!!!!

Wayne

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

El Pescador

Fishing with Gary is a BLAST, but sometimes you begin to remember you are in remote Alaska!
I was calling my Jennifer at 10 PM and this Spruce Grouse (I know GOOGLE IT!) strutted past me at 20'.  Not afraid of anything.  Clucking away.

I asked Mary Jo what this island of Fireweed is all about and she tells me it is the ONLY piece of their property that has NOT been tilled over, worked over, tread upon, or otherwise cultivated  - this is original prairie for them.

The next day we had some snacks and check this out:

The smoked salmon dip is from Mary Jo from Salmon smoked by my neighbor Gil.  He just returned when I left from Whalers Cove Lodge, about 35 miles away.  The sliced roma tomatoes are from Gary's garden,  the smoked Rockfish is from our own Mike (Fishy247), Smoked Salmon from neighbor Gil and the fresh celery is from Dominick and his favorite fruit and vegetable store just blocks from his San Mateo home.

OK Kids, now write this one down.  IF... you are EVER offered SMOKED BLACK COD - for GOD's SAKE TAKE IT.  This is so rich, smooth and just delicious- we consumed the entire plate full.  Oh, it is from Jerry's Seafood & Meats in Juneau, AK

Heading out today, I'm taking my Dad's Garica Mitchell 300 - He purchased it in 1961 - I have the original receipt.  Before this trip, I sent it to Fred to be worked on, now, it is smoother than soft butter on a hot day!  THANK YOU Fred!

Did have Fred install a 406 Handle - the original 300 Handle, after cranking on it,  left you panting like a humped over squirrel!

Tide is out today, one day during our trip, the difference between low and high tide was 17.2' - 17.2 FEET!!!!!!

It's Gas Fill Up Day today.  The dock is a DRY DOCK - we bring our own fuel.

All our gear for the day.

This sailboat owner was tying down his boat, I see they are from Bend, OR, and we enjoyed a 15 minute chat re: Bend, OR - I was there in Aug. 2017 for the Total Eclipse.  

AND for you Total Eclipse watcher - PUT THIS ON YOUR CALENDAR - April 8, 2024

- A 4 1/2 TOTAL ECLIPSE from Dallas, TX thru Indiana and Buffalo, NY - MARK IT DOWN.

Man,  you can't script a better trip than this one.  I ate up every moment.

My two deck hands getting things readied for the day.

LOOK AT THIS - if it wasn't for the lower tempatures, we look to be in Cabo!!!!

Gary, you are a dear friend and let's keep fishing until one of us taps out.

It is controlled chaos on the USS Maiko on the Red Bait Cooler!!!!

Today was a funky day, we all are experienced fisherman, BUTT midday we ended up with a TOTAL GOAT ROPE for a 3 rod tangle of our gear that took 20 minutes to untangle.  What we think happened, I had a good bite, the fish pulled hard PORT on the stern, thus causing the BOFO.

Done for the day, back at the house, checking the garden, we have fresh zucchini for dinner.

Here Gary makes Rhubarb wine from these cuttings.

Out in the hothouse, good looking tomatoes

Here I'm enjoying a Spruce Tip Ale made by Gary.  A solid Ale flavor with you guessed it Spruce Tip flavor

Can brag about Gary for a minute.  This from a guy who can barely use 2-part expoy successfully.

He needed a new drop down tailgate for his run around truck.  SO HE MADE ONE.

MarkT hold your horses, I have more to post tomorrow.  ;D

Wayne

Fishy247

I'm loving this report Wayne! As always, your photos are on point and lots of em! Glad the weather worked out for you guys!

OK, so it's been a couple more hours.....where's the rest?? ;)
Looking forward to more!
MIke

El Pescador

Quote from: Fishy247 on August 24, 2019, 02:45:24 PM
I'm loving this report Wayne! As always, your photos are on point and lots of em! Glad the weather worked out for you guys!

OK, so it's been a couple more hours.....where's the rest?? ;)
Looking forward to more!
Mike

Mikey!!!

Fishy247, 246, 25 or 6 2 4!!!!

Busy for the rest of the day,

BUTT...

brew up a big pot of hot coffee for tomorrow...

Wayne

Fishy247

QuoteBusy for the rest of the day,

Well okay then....but it better be fishing related! lol....