Halibut Fishing with Gary the BUTT man, Glacier Bay, Gustavus, AK Aug. 2019

Started by El Pescador, August 23, 2019, 11:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

.....wait a minute...

.....you ate half gallon of the salmon dip ??

Good to see Dom at the helm. He needs the sea time for his 100 ton license

Didn't know Gustavus actually had an airport terminal. I figured they just landed on in a farmer's field, or Gary's back yard

Glad you took lots of pics. It is amazing scenery for sure !!

How much did you pay Gary for eating all his salmon dip ?? That stuff isn't cheap  :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Donnyboat

Great work Wayne, best report on this forum, nice clear pictures, did you weigh yourself before you left home & when you arrived back, as you said Dominick, sure good for his age, thanks again cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

If you think the water was calm, take a look at the first day of fishing.  We were at anchor and the wind and waves were ripping.  Wayne as usual a great travelogue.  When the video opens right click and click on loop.  Dominick

ALASKA FISHING AUGUST 2019
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

What a great trip, enjoyed the write-up too. Fishing Alaska's on my bucket list for sure!

Just curious (I am not getting this at all), can you post a pic of this rigging method or explain it another way?
"Need to remove the reel seat.  Gary ONLY uses the reel tightly screwed down  in the reel seat, and then wrapped with Electricians tape."

El Pescador

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 24, 2019, 11:48:09 PM

.....wait a minute...

.....you ate half gallon of the salmon dip ??

How much did you pay Gary for eating all his salmon dip ?? That stuff isn't cheap  :D

Ted

Come on Ted,

You're a smart man.

2 quarts is 8 cups, I was there for 7 days, that is just over a cup for day.  Mary Jo makes it, I enjoy every morsel of the smoked salmon dip!!!

Plus Dominick only eats Gluten-free food. ...   so more for me!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

El Pescador

Quote from: Donnyboat on August 25, 2019, 04:25:19 AM
Great work Wayne, best report on this forum, nice clear pictures, did you weigh yourself before you left home & when you arrived back

Don,

TANKS for your generous words.  yes, I did gain weight, arriving at SFO, Dominick taps my belly and said, "You need to loose some weight!!!"

I'm on it.

Wayne

El Pescador

Alright Kids, I'm back to it and let's get this post wrapped up.

Again, ANOTHER glassy flat day in Gustavus,

This photo was taken at the behest of Dominick, saying get a shot of the ship as it passes the distant mountains.  Man, what I don't do for the administrators on this site!!!

We start our day, THE TANK all set and in place Dominick.  The PROGEAR Yellowtail special is set for me, let's go fishing!!!!

Just look at that water!!!  Mesmerizing for sure.

TED!!!!   Another bite???   I'm taking one, then another, and yes, just one MORE please!!!!

Check out the size of the Bait Ball Gary like to drop into the cold waters of Glacier Bay!!!   At the end of putting on bait, he wraps over it with elastic thread.   Dritz Elastic Thread in Black, preferred or white if that is the only color available.

First fish up is a SKATE!!!!   I texted this photo to a fishing buddy, he texts back, SKATE is a verb!  Well, not here in Glacier Bay, it is also a NOUN!!  Don't know what a SKATE is, GOOGLE it!!!   It was over 4' wing tip to tip.  WHAT A fight, no head shakes, but like dragging up old fishing nets or an anchor!!!.

some websites say you can cook and eat SKATES, BUTT Gary says NO.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/the-nasty-bits-skate-wing.html  Read this article.

Gary is up and on a good fish!  And a very fashionable ORANGE fishing shirt  I might add!!!!

Nice fish - first fish of the day.

Dominick is serving lunch - I asked for a Salami sandwich with Swiss cheese.  Did he get it right???

Again, just enjoy the UN...  BELIEVEABLE Weather we are enjoying.   I kept telling Gary, if it stayed this way, I'd buy property up here!!!

This was for my Sons enjoyment - I texted with photo to my boys with the saying, "You're BOTH working and Your Dear Old Dad is NOT!!!"   Let's see if I get a Father's day card this year!!!!

See the Sea Otter??!!!  I know, I took the photo with my iPhone, I need to upgrade to a telephoto camera.

We saw, sea otters, porpoises, sea lions and LOTS of sea birds.

Again, a great photo of the snow covered mountains a long distance away.

Here Dominick on POINT!!!  I must say Dominick was getting VERY GOOD on the harpoon this trip.

Fish are starting to stack up on the rear deck.

Here a photo arranged by Dominick, I was just told to SNAP the photo.  here, The WORLD FAMOUS TANK and the WORLD FAMOUS RED COOLER!!!  

And what the combination can do to the local Halibut Population.

Man, this guy always finds the coolest beers!!!

Gary, how heavy did you say this fish was???  approaching 100 lbs.????

Again, a few more photos of the GREAT weather we are enjoying...

Alright, we are back, we have fish to process.

And here is where the work begins.

Could life be better???

Slimy fish, Sharp knives and cold beer!!!

Along this forest road, moose are routinely viewed.

Alright, our time here is about over, we have to pack the ice chests with frozen FRESH HALIBUT for friends and family to enjoy back home.

My ice chest is full.

YEAH BABY!!!!  Gross weight is 78.5 lbs., but FISH WEIGHT is 68 lbs.

Just in time, to leave.  DARK Storm clouds a'brewing.  STORMS A COMING.  Our 6:35pm flight is boarding.

Almost home, for those here in California, a shot of Point Reyes and Tomalas Bay.

Let me just say, Gary and Mary Jo are truly warm & generous folks, especially to offer their home to us.  They made us feel invited & welcomed in their lives.

And you two are always welcomed here in our San Mateo home for sure.

That' all folks...

Wayne

Maxed Out

Hey Wayne.... what's better than Gustavus salmon dip ??.....answer: more Gustavus salmon dip !!

Wayne, you always make me feel like I was there with you guys. Weather is always a coin toss, but you guys nailed it on this adventure....and looks like you got outta there in the nick of time.

I can imagine you'll be eating like royalty the next few months.

Gary lives in God's country, and I think going places like this is a must for any fisherman's "bucket list"

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Amazing trip!!! Love it!
Would definitely be a trip of a lifetime for me, you guys are so lucky sharing the experience with one of the top fisherman... "THE BUTT MAN".

For the new members that have joined us along the way, the tank that Dominick is using is the original you see here:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.msg19822#msg19822

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on August 25, 2019, 06:51:09 PM
If you think the water was calm, take a look at the first day of fishing.  We were at anchor and the wind and waves were ripping.  Wayne as usual a great travelogue.  When the video opens right click and click on loop.  Dominick

I think Dominick is speaking of this video!  heading up canyon, or as they call it - a Fiord - against a North Wind.

I'm thinking...  cue up REO Speedwagon's "Ridin' the Storm OUT"!!!!!

Wayne

Dominick

Yep that was our first day.  The glassy sea was on the next 2 days.  That first day the wind was approaching 30 knots, with gusts to probably 40. I have some photos on my phone that I will post.  I need to get an adapter to plug my Google Pixel into my desk to to upload the photos.  More to come.  I'm glad Wayne got a video of the windy day.  Good work Wayne.  I am thanking Gary and Mary Jo for a most wonderful and hospitable week.  Mary Jo was wonderful in taking care of us.  Gary you are the best.  The King of the Butts.  Thank you two from the bottom of my heart for a wonderful vacation.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 25, 2019, 11:05:17 PM
Amazing trip!!! Love it!
Would definitely be a trip of a lifetime for me, you guys are so lucky sharing the experience with one of the top fisherman... "THE BUTT MAN".

For the new members that have joined us along the way, the tank that Dominick is using is the original you see here:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.msg19822#msg19822

Sal

Thanks for that link Sal.  Here is the follow-up of the Tank's travels.  Dominick

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15832.0

Benni3

Super great job on the report,,,,, :D love the photos of the good times,,,,,,,,, ;D