What Dacron for Penn Plastic Spools?

Started by Beachmaster, August 24, 2019, 02:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I have a few vintage Penn reels with plastic spools.  I understand that it might be a good idea to spool a few yards of dacron on the spool first then fill the rest with the mono of my choosing.  What size dacron and yardage should I use?  My Jigmaster, 155, and 77 all have plastic spools.  Thanks!

Keta

Quote from: Beachmaster on August 24, 2019, 02:48:55 PM
I have a few vintage Penn reels with plastic spools.  I understand that it might be a good idea to spool a few yards of dacron on the spool first then fill the rest with the mono of my choosing.  What size dacron and yardage should I use?  My Jigmaster, 155, and 77 all have plastic spools.  Thanks!

I would use 50# and fill the spool at least half way.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Beachmaster

Dumb question.  Do you spool Dacron on just like you do Mono?

Keta

I do.  Most of my reels have at least 1 layer of dacron under the Spectra.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

WDill

I was wondering also, but instead of Dacron, can you substitute braid as a replacement for Dacron. Should have the same characteristics and be suitable for plastic spools.
Wish I were fishing

Keta

Yes, Spectra compresses less than Dacron and it works as well or better.  I would still fill the spool 1/2 way.

Mark Twain