Tyrnos 10II whining noise

Started by jdc946, November 01, 2011, 03:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdc946

I bot a Tyrnos 10II about a year ago. I haven't really used it. However at the end of every season i inspect all my reels inside and out. I forgot that when i used this reel it has a wurring sound, almost like the clicker is on. The clicker is not on. My questtion is, are these reels supposed to make this noise all of the time, or is something else causing it. I inspected the reel, and it is coming from the right side plate(handle side). When i looked at the tutorials, i thought it might be the anti reverse causing it. I haven't taken it completely apart yet, but i figured i would get some input first. Any thoughts?     

I just finished reading every post on the Tyrnos reels. I discovered they are noisey on retrieve. Now i have to decide if my fishing buddies and myself can tolerate the noise. My friends may throw the reel over board, and who knows what strangers will do. LOL

gunston

I have a Tyrnos 10II with the same issue.
Is there a mod to turn it off??

jdc946

After all i read on this sight, the best anyone seems to have come up with is to grease up the anti reverse mechanism.  You would have thought shimano would have come up with something a little less annoying, like maybe a different pitch. It sounds almost like a dentist drill.

alantani

it sounds like you are describing gear noise.  you can't do anything about that.    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

To me it sounds like the sound you are hearing is the dog which is the anti reverse system in those reels. Shimano has several models of reels where the anti reverse system makes this noise like the TLD and tyrnos two speeds. I have both a TLD 30II and Tyrnos 8II and I have not found any fix to stop or lessen this "noise". I have done the grease thing to the dog and gear with little to no effect in reducing the sound these reels make.