Crusty Shimano Calcutta 250

Started by Christopher M Songer, August 28, 2019, 12:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

A friend snagged this while bottom fishing 6 weeks ago in S. Carolina. He soaked it in vinegar and now I have it. It moves as it should but sluggish. Sand and salt have taken a toll on it but I think I can get it to fishing again. A few parts will be needed. lol
Always go forward, never go straight

Christopher M Songer

A few more pics

boon

May just be me but I kinda like the mottled finish!

Looks entirely resurrect-able.

Crow

It ain't just you...I like it, too ! :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

MarkT

Me too... I'm liking that patina it has acquired!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bhale1

I bet that will clean up just fine! Cant wait to see a pic of the finished reel. Love that patina.....that reel will have some good stories told about it!!
Brett

oc1

When someone recovered an ABU from the deep, cleaned it up and had it working again ABU got some good publicity out of it.  Take lots of pictures.
-steve

Ruffy

That's not corrosion mottling (at least from my sub par phone screen)! I think that's a limited edition, google 'Calcutta 250 stogie edition'. If it is it might be a hell of a find!

Cheers,
Andrew

Christopher M Songer

Wow! I think it is a "stogie" the handle is bent over the star drag slightly and corrosion has pitted a few spots but that's a cool reel. It will never be like new appearance wise but it will be fishing again.

wfjord

The mottled finish looked to me like the reel was made that way.  It's a very attractive reel.

thorhammer

agree on the mottled look- very cool. you got this- I've had some reel-ups come back well beyond what I expected possible.

Donnyboat

Pitty that reel cant talk, would have a story or two ay, thanks for posting cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wfjord

Quote from: Christopher M Songer on August 28, 2019, 12:38:46 AM
A friend snagged this while bottom fishing 6 weeks ago in S. Carolina.

Any idea where in SC he snagged it?

What was he using for bait? :)

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Ruffy on August 28, 2019, 07:44:01 AM
That's not corrosion mottling (at least from my sub par phone screen)! I think that's a limited edition, google 'Calcutta 250 stogie edition'. If it is it might be a hell of a find!

Cheers,
Andrew

yep
><)))">

oc1

I'm pretty sure it is staining from the South Carolina pluff mud.  You can bring up wood and plastic objects with that same sort of mottling.  The sediment is so loose that things sink into the bottom and are covered up almost immediately.  The pluff mud can also preserve some objects because it is very anoxic and has an insatiable demand for oxtgen.  You need oxygen for corrosion and decay.
-steve