Senator 9/0

Started by jkel, August 28, 2019, 02:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkel

Hello again,

Would like some help with a friend's 9/0. He told me that the drag is not holding when tightened all the way down and could still pull line out from the reel.

I removed the drag stack and noticed that a few of the carbon washers looked glazed and weren't greased at all. Is that layout the correct sequence (top row left to right, then bottom row left to right)? Btw the bottom carbon washer is still on the main gear.

Maxed Out

Eared washers alternate with non eared(aka keyed) washers. Perhaps they were not installed correctly

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

I'm guessing but the lower right is the bottom & the upper left is the top. If so all is correct order. The CF washers look pretty good. What was the pounds of pull when he experienced the slippage? Try cleaning with brake clean & rub on a rag & relube with Cal's. Reassemble and warm them up with at least a half dozen 25 yard pulls fairly tight and then take a pull reading on a scale. You should get at least a 20-25# or higher pull with a full spool. If not you might need new CF washers. Are the metal washers flat or not. When assembleing the metal washers make sure that if they are slightly curved that you stack the curves all the same direction either up or down.      Rudy

jkel

Rudy,

Yes that is how the configuration is: lower right is the bottom and upper left is the top. I don't know what the pounds were. He wrapped the line around his hands a few times and pulled on it. Reel was not mounted to a rod.

I did do what you mentioned by using brake clean and rubbing the CF washers on a rag. It didn't do much. Can't tell in the photo but they're same as before. The metal washers are slightly curved and all facing down.

I will help with testing the drag the next time I see him.

Ted,

Yes the earred washers are alternated between the keyed washers.

Thank you guys :D

Shark Hunter

That looks right for a 5 stack. That thing should put out 20lbs easy.
Get a new complete stack from Dawn. They are cheap.
My best guess is that the cupped washers aren't making enough contact and letting it slip.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Are you using a tension spring? I see everything but.
On these reels the tension spring is really thick, without it there is a chance the star is backing up a little as you pull the line.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Maybe I'm lookin at it wrong, but it looks like you have a keyed metal washer on the very bottom where it would be metal against metal(bottom of main gear). The very bottom washer should be CF material. So, it looks like you're missing 1-CF washer for the very bottom(should be 5 of 'em) and there are 1 too many keyed washers at the top of the stack.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

G fish, look at the photos again. The main gear still has the CF washer in the bottom of it as he said. By using an extra keyed washer on top as a spacer is to get the correct stack height.

Gfish

Ok. Gotcha. Had a vague feeling I was wrong.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Hi Jkel, what washer is under the gear, CF or delrin, also if he had a delrin washer under the star, it would be easier to apply the tension. good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jkel

Reassembled the drag stack and it works much better after applying Cal's drag grease. Sorry forgot to use a scale to measure it. But now I can still turn the handle (some resistance though) with the drag star fully locked. Guess I will need to pull the bridge assembly out and try to figure out what's going on  ;D

Sal,

Yes there is a tension spring and I should've posted a photo of it earlier.

Donnyboat,

It's a delrin washer under the main gear.

RowdyW

There should be no resistance when cranking the handle with the drag off to fully on. Time to get inside. That's why it is best to fully disassemble it when there is a problem,not trying to take a shortcut through the drag accessible hole.  ;D

jkel

Rudy,

I disassembled the reel and everything looked fine. Well the handle can still be turned with the drag fully tightened down. Tied the end of the line to a post and my friend went to crank the handle and it did. But he was putting all his might to crank it. Next time I'll get the scale to measure. Maybe we're going overboard on this.  ???   

RowdyW

Trying to crank it under full drag is not testing anything except if the handle will bend. You have to mount the reel on a pole & tilt it up 45 degrees & pull the line with a scale. It's the pull on the line that is the drag setting not the strength it takes to turn the handle. The way you fight a large fish is to lift the tip then crank as you drop the tip quickly. The drag holds the fish on the lift and you retieve line on the drop.  :o :o

Alto Mare

Well that all depends.
Cranking while holding the spool and increasing the drag gradually tells you quite a bit.
You are correct though, just cranking doesn't tell you anything, unless the line it tight to something.

Jkel, sounds as you need another washer on top.
This could be a carbon fiber washer or a metal washer, it doesn't really matter.
Anything above the lip of the main gear is just a spacer and although it will help with the drag, it doesn't generate any.

You could also try a Delrin washer as the last washer on top... as Don has mentioned.
This will help with your situation and it will also help when turning the star with one finger while under load.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.