2nd Generation 10/0 handle

Started by SeaDragon, August 28, 2019, 03:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaDragon

Hi guys, I'm looking at a Penn 10/0, 2nd generation with the free spool lever in front of the handle, the handle has a brown pointy end football type handle with the coin edge counterweight. What does that tell you about it's manufacture date? I'm guessing about '46? 47? It has the forward rod brace turnbuckles. I'm not an expert, but I have a bunch of old Penns, I fish them all. Thanks!

Maxed Out

Does the reel have the old style 3 piece spool ??....and is there a line tie post on the arbor or is it a hole thru the arbor ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

SeaDragon

I have no idea yet, sorry. But I feel in my gut the handle is original to it. (For what that's worth, lol)

SeaDragon

Also, I edited the handle description, it is the pointy football type.

Shark Hunter

Probably a three piece spool. Definitely a collectors Item.
Not so much for catching big fish, as the spool is prone to warp under high drag settings.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Quoteguys, I'm looking at a Penn 10/0, 2nd generation with the free spool lever in front of the handle, the handle has a brown pointy end football type handle with the coin edge counterweight. What does that tell you about it's manufacture date? I'm guessing about '46? 47? It has the forward rod brace turnbuckles. I'm not an expert, but I have a bunch of old Penns, I fish them all. Thanks!

Impossible to tell a date with the info you provided. What would help would be to know if any of the parts had part numbers stamped on them. That would put the reel into the early 1950's. Since it is a second generation style, that pretty much eliminates pre-war.

Technically second gen reels were officially shown iin the 1948 catalog but were probably available before that, so your 1946 or 1947 date could be correct, but, not if there are any parts with part numbers stamped on them. Shape of the handle torpedo is not date telling.

Here is a first gen 10/0. I wonder if your handle style is like this reel. The spool on this reel is a three piece drilled spool.

SeaDragon

Yes, that was the handle style, and it had a 3 piece spool. I don't know if it had numbers, I never saw any on it in photos.