Finland/Europe vs USA lures/baits

Started by Finngol, August 29, 2019, 06:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finngol

I've been watching some angling/fishing videos from USA in youtube, and I have noticed that the lures they use are quite a bit different than what we use in Europe, or at least in Finland. From what I have seen, finns don't really use poppers, rubber baits or spinner baits, those three types seems to be very popular in USA.

Here's what we use, a few different kind of spinners:

Then we have spoons, these are very popular in here:

More in here
https://kuusamonuistin.fi/en/kesakalastus/

and of course, wobblers, Rapala is insanely popular in here.

I find it very interesting if it's true that there's quite a bit of difference in the baits/lures we use, and I'd be curious to find out how well they'd work in here and there.

Gfish

The lures you use in Finland are pretty much Salmonid oriented, right? If you check out what fisherman are using in Alaska it's probably close to what you use in Scandinavia.
I think the Rapala minnow lures are the best swimbaits ever made, and work just about anywhere and on any fish.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Finngol

Salmoids, perch and northern pike. Zander is also very popular fish to fish in here.

Gfish

Nothern Pike! "Uff da"(I know, it's Norwegian, not Finnish), I should have thought a that. Actually they are up in Alaska too. I like big plugs, spoons and big spinners for Northerns. Perch are good bait for Northerns.
What's a Zander?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Finngol

Zander is perch-like fish, but it's usually larger, usually 40cm to 70cm, or 15-16 inches to 27-28 inches and 0,5kg to 2,5kg, or about 1lb to 5lb. Record is 14,1 kg or about 28 lbs. It's very popular fish to fish/angle, as it's pretty good size and very tasty.

Isn't northern pike very similar to what you have in there, muskie? I think you have your own perch there as well, yellow perch. Are those popular to fish?

Tiddlerbasher

A zander is very similar to a walleye (maybe distantly related :-\)- they used to be called a pike-perch even though they are not a hybrid. They are very tasty with none of those nasty 'floating' bones in the flesh that are found in pike.

Keta

I have use Black Furry spinners in the past and still use Rapalas for trout.

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 29, 2019, 09:11:50 AM
A zander is very similar to a walleye (maybe distantly related :-\)- they used to be called a pike-perch even though they are not a hybrid. They are very tasty with none of those nasty 'floating' bones in the flesh that are found in pike.

Zander and walleye are almost identical.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

The lures you're showing are, basically, what I'm using to catch smallmouth bass, and walleye, in our local river. I do use jig heads, with a "twister tail" type "rubber worm"quite often....but Rapala's and Mepp's are my "go to ' baits.  In the "fall "....when the bass really go into a frenzy of feeding, I like to use the "old fashioned ""Shannon Twin Spin" spinnerbaits  (I'd post some pix...but that computer is "in the shop" so , I'm "pictureless" for a while)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Ok. Looked it up. Zander and walleye are both in the perch family and do indeed look almost identical.
Do they still make the Shannon Twin Spinner? I have a pretty old one that caught a few bass for me when I's a kid. Spinner baits(safety pin style, diffrent than the "Bete-Vari" you're showing) are real popular in the US for Bass. I've used small ones successfully river fishing for trout( leadhead style, bouncing them off the bottom).
Jigs are popular here, hows about in Finland?

Finngol

Jigs have become quite popular in the recent years, and they are commonly sold in stores. I have never done jigging, but might try sometime. I'd imagine that most generic lures, like spinners, wobblers etc works for the most fish, unless the lure is made to specifically imitate what certain fish species eat.

Crow

I don't think the Shannon is available, anymore....I have a mold, and make my own version, although I do have some "originals" left....but they are starting to get "bald", just like me  ;)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Rapala is a go-to in North Carolina for everything from bass to wahoo (in saltwater size). I use plenty of spinners, and the Mepps Aglia and Minnow were THE bait when I was a kid. Spoons- well, I just ordered 50 flutter spoon blanks and Siwash hooks similar to what you are showing for striped bass trolling. In the freshwater lake I fish, there are bass, perch, walleye, striped bass, white bass, hybrids, chain pickerel (small pike), sunfish and freshwater drum that take all those lures you pictured. We do use a lot of poppers, jigs and soft plastic baits as well. Depends on species, but fresh or salt, I ALWAYS have a rod on the boat with an appropriate popper and a jig / spoon. Next two would be soft bait and spinner.

John

MarkT

Plastics of all kinds, frogs, spinnerbaits, top waters of all kinds, crank baits are all popular for Bass fishing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

happyhooker

Small spinners like the Mepps or Abus, are often thought of as trout lures, but not much trout fishing in SW Minnesota where I live.  I use them occasionally for crappie in the small sizes and walleye in a medium size.  Huge spinners like a Mepps Giant are used for big northerns and muskie, but at $12-15 or more a pop, you don't like losing one.

Muskie & northern have the same general shape, but their markings give each away.  Traditional lure for a northern is a Dardevle-type spoon, but they will attack anything.  Muskies like the big spinners.  I like that Finnish dual fixed hook weedless depicted; don't think I've seen one before; a similar type lure in the US would be the Johnson Silver Minnow, which has a single fixed hook weedless configuration, and is used here for largemouth bass and northerns.

The nearest thing I can think of offhand to the Bete/Vari inline spinners depicted would be an Erie Dearie or Hot n' Tot Pygmy spinner; very popular for walleye; they have the spinner behind the lure body, and will spin as the lure is going down after being cast or dropped overside from a boat.  Only a single hook (minnow bait, real or plastic, often attached) although I don't see why a treble couldn't be affixed ( I'm not a big fan of trebles generally).

Perch (yellow) are occasionally targeted here, especially through the ice in winter.  I don't go after them, but catch plenty crappie fishing.

Rapalas (the long, skinny ones) are pretty popular for a lot of big fish, especially walleye, but I personally don't use them too often.

The Shannon Twin-Spin may be gone, but you can get a similar McCoy V-Twin and I suspect others like it.  Modern twin-spin spinner ("safety pin") baits are pretty popular still for bass.

Metal head jigs, with a plastic or marabou body, are all-purpose, relatively inexpensive, and will target most fish species.  Lots of different plastic bodies you can try--curly tails, swim tails, paddle tails, plastic worms of different lengths, plastic frogs, etc.  You can fish them in many ways, at many depths, and when I don't know what to fish, I usually end up with a jig of some kind.

Frank

Finngol

I probably should've mentioned that vari (or väri) if you can see scandinavian letters) means color in finnish, the exact name of that lure is Bete Lotto. It's very popular in here, and there's been several imitators/copies made, but afaik Lotto is the original one of that specific type of spinner.

Some finns does use rubber frogs and the like to catch pikes, as they'll eat anything, there's also this kind of spinner:

Rapala's Blue Fox vibrax spinners are also popular in here, as we have some very murky waters and the sound attracts the fish better in those waters than just the spinning.