Main Menu

Vessel Fire

Started by Bill B, September 02, 2019, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

The news is reporting the 75' diving vessel Conception caught fire at approximately 0330 hrs this morning and has sunk.  As many as 40 people were on board, 5 have been rescued and fatalities have been reported.

The Conception was off Santa Cruz Island approximately 30 miles west of the city of Ventura.  

The Conception had two sister ships, Truth and Vision.  I have dove off the Conception and she was a good ship.  

Coast Guard is on scene.  Praying for all that were involved. Bill

Edit: Looks like she sunk in 64' of water 20 yards off the island.  The 5 rescued were most likely the crew who were sleeping in the upper deck crew quarters.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rivverrat

Doesnt sound good at all.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-killed-boat-fire-california-santa-cruz-island

happyhooker

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 02, 2019, 03:24:10 PM
Doesnt sound good at all.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-killed-boat-fire-california-santa-cruz-island

Yes, early reports are not encouraging.

Frank

steelfish

The Baja Guy

conchydong

Tragic. May all of the lost souls rest in peace.

Benni3

PacRat

A lot of us members have spent plenty of time on these types of boats. I know I will be looking at my personal safety a little differently when on board in the future. I won't speculate too much about how this tragedy came about until we have more confirmed details. I have hear 2nd hand from a survivor that he was blown into the water (I'm assuming this was a crew member. The message was vague and short). This seems to indicate that at some point there was an explosion. No word on how or where the fire started. The specs for the Conception indicate a fire suppression system for the engines. The stairs from the bunks are forward and up into the galley.
Hopefully lessons learned will make all charter boats safer going forward. Boat builders/designers take note. Space is precious but fore and aft egress could save lives.
Prayers to all the victims and their loved ones.
-Mike

Alto Mare

Very sad news...may they rest in peace.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brendan

Sad. The news said multiple Birthday party's on the trip.
Horrible story.

George6308

Condolences go out to the families of those lost. May the lost rest in eternal peace until the sea gives up her lost soles.
The USCG will investigate and come to a conclusion as to what went wrong. Recommendations will come out of the investigation so others will be saved.
USCG, local fire department,  and other craft came to the rescue and should be thanked for their response.

Cortez_Conversions

The details coming out are not encouraging. So sad.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Ron Jones

It is an unfortunate reality of any vessel, that there are some scenarios that will just result in horrible outcomes. Trying to get out of a party boat berthing in a casualty is just not going to be easy. It is a testament to the professionalsim of mariners that take clients to sea that things like this happen as infrequently as they do. Studying vessel fires was a part of my life for a long time, I don't see a comercially viable way to get around the current situation.

My prayers to those involved and there families.

For those who have gone to sea and come home, and to those who have gone to sea and never come home.

FTC (SS) Jones, Ronald L USN (Ret)
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Well Spoken Ron.
I am without words. :'(
Life is Good!