stopping corrosion

Started by Crow, September 06, 2019, 08:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Here's the deal....I have *several* reels that I've acquired that I won't be able to "get to" , probably for 6-9 months, and some of them have a lot of "green". Question is, what to do to them to stop the "green" until I can do a proper "tear down" ? Wipe down with Corrosion X? Store in a bucket of kerosene ? A bucket of dilute vinegar?.......that sounds like a bad option...there might not be anything left in a year  :o. Any tips would be appreciated !  Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Make sure all line has been removed. At that point you may have to choose priorities, or do some serious praying. If you don't completely remove it and protect the surface it will continue to eat away at the copper, i.e. brass/bronze, etc. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Crow on September 06, 2019, 08:18:50 PM
   Here's the deal....I have *several* reels that I've acquired that I won't be able to "get to" , probably for 6-9 months, and some of them have a lot of "green". Question is, what to do to them to stop the "green" until I can do a proper "tear down" ? Wipe down with Corrosion X? Store in a bucket of kerosene ? A bucket of dilute vinegar?.......that sounds like a bad option...there might not be anything left in a year  :o. Any tips would be appreciated !  Thanks !
I would drench them with WD-40 spray inside and out.  It makes a mess as it dries, but the mess is easy to remove and it will stabilize the corrosion for now.
-steve

mo65

Not degrading the importance of removing that stuff...but remember...corrosion is a slow process...it probably took a good long time to get to the green stage. I doubt in 6 months time it would get much worse than it probably already is. Don't ever store any parts long term in vinegar, you may return to an empty jar!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Hi Crow,
            All good replies there.
   What I would do, or should I say, have done in the past is, strip the reels down, give them that vinegar bath and wash down to neutralise the acid,
Then pop them all individually into those zip lock bags, maybe with a squirt or to of WD40 once in the bag. A quick marking of what the completely stripped down reel is and pop them away for when you have some time.
Mind you I did read you don't have much time at the minute and Mo is probably right, the green stuffs been there for probably a long time now, a few more months wouldn't hurt...... For me,  it would just erk me, all that green stuff, So that is what I would do.
I have two at the minute all cleaned up and bagged, both waiting for parts, which to save on freight, I will make one large order.

Col