Shakespeare [Alutecnos] Albacore 20

Started by greatwight, March 23, 2009, 07:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatwight

Hi Alan,

I am currently servicing a Shakespeare Albacore 20 reel for a friend.  The reel also bears the inscription "By Alutecnos".

I have no schematic for it but looking at Alutenos' web site, it appears to be much the same as their Albacore 20, single speed.

The reel was bought second hand and appears to have been well looked after but may be "High mileage".

The carbon drag washer, which is bonded to an alloy drag plate (key #42 on the Alutecnos schematic), looks a little ragged round the edges, and when I was rubbing it to clean it before greasing, did seem to fray a little bit.

At the moment, I can get 7.5lb of drag at strike before losing free spool.  This rises to around 9lb at full.

This seems a little bit low to me but I have no experience with this reel.

The drag lever (#3) does not operate the drag via a cam, but the lever instead advances the drag setting by a screw threaded boss (#7).

Is there any special procedure for installing this boss?  I screwed it in all the way and then backed it off just enough for the drag lever to function fully from "free" to "full".

I hope you can help,

-Des

alantani

changing a belleville stack from "()()" to "(())" and adding a bearing sleeve are the things that can be done in shimano and penn reels will increase the drag range and increase freespool.  can you post a link to the schematic?  thanks.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

greatwight

Hi Alan,

the schematic is here:

http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/alutecnos-albacore/albacore-12-20.pdf

There are only two bellevilles in this reel.  At the moment, everything is arranged as far as I can tell, as standard.

Thanks,

-Des