Ambassadeur Parts Compatibility Between Models

Started by r_shackleford, September 11, 2019, 02:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r_shackleford

I'm really interested in doing a frame up build on a 1969 era 6000 size frame. I understand that this is probably not the most cost effective idea, but I would like to do it to better learn the reel and in the end have a casting machine.

My question is: Are there any resources out there that help explain the compatibility between different Ambassadeur models?

I know what features I would like to put into the reel, but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer on whether or not it will all fit. I know there is going to be some trial and error, and possible custom fitting involved, but any other additional info to complete this project will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

alantani

not sure if anyone here is that familiar with the entire line.  you would likely have to go directly to abu garcia.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

KenD was, but from what i understand he cannot read the forum anymore.

alantani

he has not logged in for a very long time.  there is nothing wrong showing up in his profile.

Name:   Ken_D
Position:   Member
IP:   216.232.239.62
Hostname:   
d216-232-239-62.bchsia.telus.net
Date Registered:   January 18, 2009, 03:03:21 PM
Last Active:   August 12, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

alantani

Robert Janssen

He had a stroke and it is very difficult for him to read. Tragic. The man knows the Abu part catalog by heart.

Shackleford, i don't think i have seen what you are looking for. (You were thinking, like a big flow chart or something, spools xxx and yyy fit frames aaa and bbb but not ccc sorta thing? No...)

On the other hand, you are absolutely not the first person to do this. Most of the Abu tuning kit places say which models their parts fit. You'll just have to figure it out piece by piece, or ask specific questions as the need arises.

r_shackleford

Thanks anyways guys. I've been doing extensive research on this topic and it seems that the best solution will be trial and error. I guess if I end up with too many parts when the project is done, I'll just have to build another reel out of them.

I am a Penn man myself but I though this project would be worth giving a try since the Ambassadeur has such a good reputation with the East Coast surf anglers. I'll make sure to post photos of the project and my findings on compatibility once the build is done.

Fish-aholic

tincanary

I have experience using older chromed brass frames with the newer style Abu Ultracast design.  If you're running a push button release reel, everything fits easy.  The screw threads are all the same, the spools fit, as do the brake plates and side plates.  If you're running a thumb bar release with an Ultracast brake plate, the hole for the thumb bar pin on the brake plate will need to be enlarged a little.  This can be done with a file or a Dremel tool, and it will work just fine.  Here are a couple I did.  First is a 5500 C3 with an early 70s 5500C chromed brass frame.  Second is a 5600 that used the 5600C frame from the 70s with the red thumb bar and the rest of the parts were taken from a 5600AB.

oc1

Quote from: r_shackleford on September 11, 2019, 02:15:21 PM
I know what features I would like to put into the reel, but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer on whether or not it will all fit.

What are the features you would like that do not exist in the stock 6000?
-steve